Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob says hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 AM
pob
Default Noob says hi

Hello everybody,

Just registered and posting to say hello.

As the most fertile man in Ireland I threw my trousers on the bed and ended up with a fourth child resulting in the purchase of a 2004 2.8auto CRD Grand Voyager.

Before buying it I did a lot of reading and opinion on the Voyager seemed very polarised between "this is the greatest car I've ever bought" to "this is a heap and it's broken my heart"

So from everything working 6 months ago the list of items to be replaced is:-

front discs and pads
front suspension has developed a quite noticeable "klonk" at the merest change in road surface
rear parking brake shoes are down to metal. looks like somebody has driven with the handbrake on. Took the disc off and the springs fell out as they'd rusted through, and the back plates are rotten.
4 tyres

But apart from the above whinge, this what I'd like to know about.

One of the kids left the lights on the dvd player on and flattened the battery.
So after I charged up the battery and got it going again, I noticed that the temp gauge never moved above 1/4 and even on the hottest setting the air never got warm.

I heard there is a reset function - with the battery being drained could this be the cause or is something more sinister happening.

(The cooling system is full even if the water is a bit brown looking)

Sorry about the whinge on my first post, but I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

Thanks,

pob

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by pob
front suspension has developed a quite noticeable "klonk" at the merest change in road surface
This one I can tell you about as I just fixed mine. More than likely, it's your sway bar end links and/or sway bar bushings. The parts (here in the states) ran me about $95 at the dealership and it took me about 2+ hours to get them on. It was actually one of the tougher jobs I've done on a vehicle. The bushings are held on with a bolt that, on the driver's side, is very hard to get to the back side of the bolt. I'm recovering from a few bloody knuckles as we speak.

It was very satisfying to take it for a drive afterwards and have no more clunk sound though. Well worth the effort.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM

A bit more info on the bushings and links: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...nks-and-thumps

Your heat problem sounds like a classic stuck open thermostat. Try tapping on the housing to get it to close. In any case, it's time for a new one. A perfect opportunity to flush and replace that brown coolant too. If the gauge was reading correctly but you had low heat then I could say maybe the battery drain effected the HVAC control module. The combination of low heat output and low heat indication scream thermostat. A coincidence? Blame it on the celtic gods. Maybe Aine of Knockaine. She could be effecting your trouser issue too: http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/celticdeities/

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM
pob

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
The combination of low heat output and low heat indication scream thermostat. A coincidence? Blame it on the celtic gods. Maybe Aine of Knockaine.
Don't think Aine's to blame this time - more like a classic case of Murphy's Law.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Hi Pob and welcome.

It does sound like your thermostat needs replacing. I'll not say too much about it as there is a lot of information written on this forum about, do a search and you'll see what I mean. But I will say that it will cost you alot more than you think (at least £70 for the part) and it will be much more difficult to replace than you think. (its around the back of the engine)

My 2004 Voyager clunks like yours over bumps. I think my sway bar links are ok, but I can visibily see the roll bar bushes are quite badly worn. I've been living with it for quite a while now, but will probably replace them when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
pob

Originally Posted by booke23
But I will say that it will cost you alot more than you think (at least £70 for the part) and it will be much more difficult to replace than you think.
I wouldn't have expected anything else!!

Originally Posted by booke23
will probably replace them when the weather gets a bit warmer.
Yes - I know what you mean, the MOT isn't until June so I'll wait until then. The voyager doesn't fit in my garage and I don't fancy changing anything in the dark and the cold on the driveway.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
pob

I was looking on ebay and the only one I could find was £136 !!

But the wife informs me that the fairies came and fixed it today as the temp came up to normal and the heating was fine - hopefully this was an one off and not the beginning of an imminent failure.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by pob
I was looking on ebay and the only one I could find was £136 !!
136! Are you kidding me? That's about $80 US. If you pay more than $20 in the US you're getting ripped off. Are you sure you're looking at the right part? Ah. Maybe you have a diesel. Might explain it.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
pob

It's for the diesel, it's sealed in a housing, it would be too simple if the thermostat housing just bolted off the engine.

THERMOSTAT CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2002-2006 2.5 & 2.8 CRD | eBay

There were cheaper ones, but they were posted from Latvia.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
136! Are you kidding me? That's about $80 US. If you pay more than $20 in the US you're getting ripped off. Are you sure you're looking at the right part? Ah. Maybe you have a diesel. Might explain it.
It's actually $210 US!

The Voyager diesel thermostats can only be serviced by replacing the whole housing. Those units from Latvia are actually the exact part that Chrysler sell for twice the price so are definately worth looking at.

Hopefully your thermostat will last a bit longer, but it could well be the first signs of it failing.