Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over revving

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Default over revving

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask my first question. I have a 2005 town and country touring edition with the 3.8. The van has 40K and the only problem it has ever had was a new EGR valve that I replaced 7K miles ago. On with my question. My daughter was leaving the parking lot from her work and the engine accelerated by itself, she put the shifter into nuetral and turned the key off. she then restarted the van and the engine revved to 2500-3000 rpms. She then turned off the van and waited 5 minutes, restarted the van and made it home. this morning I started the van cold (I live in WI) and it began to high idle at 2500-2700 rpms, I shut down the van and now I'm looking for some advice. I appears that the idle is fluctuating on its own, it doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. What would make the idle over rev itself? Any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

a vac leak

Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
a vac leak
I toke your advice toke my van down to a local Firestone and asked them to perform a computer check and to look for a vac leak or anything else that could possible cause the issue. 5 hours later they found nothing, no codes, and they couldn't get the van to re-create the problem. I've known this particular Firestone facility for years and they ended up charging me nothing because they felt bad that they couldn't help. Should I be taking my van to a Chrysler dealer?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

if the prob is not there does not really matter who U take it to until the issue is present

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM

I set up an appointment at the local Chrysler Dealership. My wife decided to take the van 4 blocks down the road even thou I said it wasn't a good idea. As she pulled out of the driveway and onto the main road (25 MPH) the accelerator pedal began to depress all on its own, with both feet pressing as hard as she could the van would not stop. she came upon a red light with other cars ahead of her and still with all her power on the brake pedal and the emergency brake pulled the van would not stop. Luckily the light turned green and the cars ahead of her began to move forward. As she continued to apply the brakes she quickly pulled into a gas station at 25MPH put the van into neutral, the engine revved to 4000RPM then she shut the van down. she then called a tow truck and the van is at the Dealership. Knowing that the floor mat was not jammed under the petal, the throttle body was not gummed up or sticking, and the previous repair shop said that it showed no thrown codes, the entire situation is crazy. Since I have a hard time believing that with the 1000's of these vehicles on the road that It must have happened with someone else. After the Dealership looks at the vehicle I'll post the results in case someone else has this issue

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Default My friends 2006 T&C has an engine revving problem as well

My good friend has a similar problem with a 2006 Town and Country. How did you resolve your problem?

The dealer could not find anything wrong. It is not a floor mat or stuck throttle issue. However, she is now afraid to drive the vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Originally Posted by therbst
I set up an appointment at the local Chrysler Dealership. My wife decided to take the van 4 blocks down the road even thou I said it wasn't a good idea. As she pulled out of the driveway and onto the main road (25 MPH) the accelerator pedal began to depress all on its own, with both feet pressing as hard as she could the van would not stop. she came upon a red light with other cars ahead of her and still with all her power on the brake pedal and the emergency brake pulled the van would not stop. Luckily the light turned green and the cars ahead of her began to move forward. As she continued to apply the brakes she quickly pulled into a gas station at 25MPH put the van into neutral, the engine revved to 4000RPM then she shut the van down. she then called a tow truck and the van is at the Dealership. Knowing that the floor mat was not jammed under the petal, the throttle body was not gummed up or sticking, and the previous repair shop said that it showed no thrown codes, the entire situation is crazy. Since I have a hard time believing that with the 1000's of these vehicles on the road that It must have happened with someone else. After the Dealership looks at the vehicle I'll post the results in case someone else has this issue