Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voyager keeps revving

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Default voyager keeps revving

hi all

the engine on my 98 2 litre voyager takes a long time to slow down to tick over speed typical example of this is when you stop at traffic lights it does not go down to tickover speed it stays at about 1200 revs and this wastes a lot of fuel also the engine never overheats

any ideas guys what could be cousing this

pete.............................

Last edited by pete@co.uk; 08-25-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

I would check the throttle cable and throttle body 1st - squirt some WD40 on moving parts of the throttle body.

2nd - Check the removable plastic cover just above the throttle pedal is not loose as it can some times obstruct the movement

3rd - check throttle position sensor terminals and Map sensor terminals.

Might work

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

nobody has said timing yet
if the timing is advanced too far then the spark plugs will be firing early causing the RPM to be higher than normal

Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM

If that's a gas engine, I would suspect a vacuum leak, or faulty idle air control motor. If it's a diesel, have no idea.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM

hi all thanks for your replys

i have put a video on the net of what the car is doing including the flat spot

you can veiw the car running here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDbxqBcNtKc

i have now removed the above video

pete........................

Last edited by pete@co.uk; 09-21-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Your tick over appears high - have you checked the map sensor and all throttle body connections, vacuum hoses?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 AM

hi scuffy

Ive checked the map sensor i removed it cleaned it and checked the connection and vacuum hoses but as yet have not checked the throttle connections but did you notice the flat spot which is evident in the video when i rev it up if you listen to the engine you will hear it falter at about 2500 revs this make.s the car kangaroo and virtually undriveable i was thinking lambda sensor probs although there is no service light on its a mystery

pete.....................

Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM

hi all thanks for all your replys

ive checked the sensors today and cleaned the terminals i connot find anything wrong ive also checked the what i think is the vacuum hose from the throttle body to the egr valve that all seems ok also the connection at the egr valve how do i check for a duff map sensor ?? it just wont go below 1000 revs the only other thing i can report is that if i put the a/c on the revs fluctuate also the plugs are very black any ideas i need to get the car sorted also as dusty has mention how do i check the timing on this car or is that set by the ecu

pete.....................................

Last edited by pete@co.uk; 08-25-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by pete@co.uk
as dusty has mention how do i check the timing on this car or is that set by the ecu

pete.....................................
i didnt quite realize exactly how far it was revving until i watched the video
are you revving the engine or is it doing that itself?
generally timing can only hold up 1200 RPM if its not set right before the engine plainly doesnt run

but to check the timing all you have to do is hook up a timing light which is basically a strobe light that is triggered from the spark from one of the cylinders. the bright flash from the light will allow you to see a freeze frame of the timing marks on the harmonic balancer and all you need to do is adjust the distributer cap.
most cars these days do that automatically but they can only adjust so far

Last edited by dusty-schaffner; 08-25-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM

hi dusty

thanks for your responce im revving the engine myself but if you watch momenterly at the start of the video that is were its idling and during the video you see it drop to the idle it wont go no less then 1000 revs there is no distributer cap it has a coil pack and everything is controlled by the ecu i suppose that is were its adjusted with special eqiupment

its still a mystery as to whats going on here

pete..........................

Quick Reply: voyager keeps revving