Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0430 code, 100 miles after buying used 2016 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Angry P0430 code, 100 miles after buying used 2016 T&C

Should I return this car? I have a "5 days and 250 miles" agreement. It's a 2016 T&C, was a rental van, with just under 100k miles. I bought a service package (because of the mileage), but it doesn't cover catalytic converter. Does anyone have enough experience to guess at the percentage of times the P0430 code comes up (in isolation, no other codes) definitely means catalytic converter, and how many times it just means O2 sensors or EGR valve? I can't do any of this work myself - analog vehicles in my teens and twenties, yes, but not these computers-on-wheels vehicles.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 PM

I would contact the seller immediately about it, since you say that you don't intend on doing repairs yourself. In many states an emission code will not allow a pass for state inspection. There is a diagnostic process that must be followed to isolate the cause of any dtc, if you're not comfortable in doing them, then a shop can get rather expensive fast, and throwing in parts in hopes of code description fixes can get even more expensive!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
I would contact the seller immediately about it, since you say that you don't intend on doing repairs yourself. In many states an emission code will not allow a pass for state inspection. There is a diagnostic process that must be followed to isolate the cause of any dtc, if you're not comfortable in doing them, then a shop can get rather expensive fast, and throwing in parts in hopes of code description fixes can get even more expensive!
Thank you. Is there a log in the computer of previous error codes? Or once it's cleared, it's gone forever? I have a cheap OBDII device that I used to retrieve this code. Google seems to indicate that some vehicles do keep historical logs, but I can't find if the 2016 T&C Touring does.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 PM

From what I have learned the only type scanner that MAY be able to do such is a chrysler proprietary (dealer) scanner. The ones for individual use can't retrieve what has been cleared. If check engine light is on, that is a "hard" code(fault is currently present) then some scanners can read "pending" codes(CEL off, but computer seeing info not in tolerance but monitoring). When I speak of diagnostic process, I mean that there are a number of components that are part of the system of what the code is about that need to be checked and tested. Your P0430 code MAY be a bad converter, but they do NOT go bad all on their own. As you said O2 sensor,exhaust leaks, intake air leaks and such need to be checked out and remedied where needed. Many websites will explain what a DTC code is and what needs to be checked to find the cause that needs repair...GOOGLE is your friend in this case.
As I said if you are not comfortable doing such work, get in touch with the seller as you may want out of this ride as parts can get rather pricey. Particularly if you have most of your funds tied up in the purchase of the vehicle. IMO the warranty they gave you is a VERY POOR one, I would be suspicious!