Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pads and Discs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Cheers for that I will look into it. I really enjoy stuff like this and am more than willing to change bad habits when technically proved wrong. Maybe I'm lucky enough to not have any issues over the years but would rather prevent any happening in the future with the correct methods.

Regards Dan

Old 12-16-2014, 05:41 PM

I appreciate your open-mindedness in this matter, using copper grease is deeply anchored in "old school" mechanics and always was a (the) best practice, but technology moves on and so does which materials to use.
On the Mercedes forum I almost started a flaming war when I suggested not to use copper paste on ABS brakes... People really got upset that they perhaps would need to change a 25 year old mechanics habit

btw, with moderate use of copper grease on the right spots of the brake system the chances on ABS sensors getting scrambled are virtually none, but why take the chance if there is a better alternative?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 AM
kkc

This is what I use:
Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive

I have found that I do need to re-apply it once or twice a year, so be generous when applied, otherwise, it works great. I suspect, the car wash sprays remove some of the stuff if one is not careful.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM
kkc
Default TRW and Mintex

was talking to a friend in the car parts business. He said that TRW and Mintex and highly regarded. I'll check out the TRW on my car next time..!

Old 05-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Gosh you guys have my mind in turmoil here, I'm reading of you guys putting Copperslip/Copper grease or Ceramic Lubricant on the brake moving parts. I associate moving parts to be the discs so you's are putting the stuff between the pads and discs. I will certainly stop squealing brakes but the word stop comes to mind.
This is just me thinking of the guy that bought a Winnebago Camper, he put it Into Cruise while driving along and went up back to make cup of tea. I think he won the case too, stupid as it sounds. So just thinking of the not so into it people reading on here, if you know what I mean.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:17 PM

To avoid any confusion

Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Gosh you guys have my mind in turmoil here, I'm reading of you guys putting Copperslip/Copper grease or Ceramic Lubricant on the brake moving parts. I associate moving parts to be the discs so you's are putting the stuff between the pads and discs. I will certainly stop squealing brakes but the word stop comes to mind.
This is just me thinking of the guy that bought a Winnebago Camper, he put it Into Cruise while driving along and went up back to make cup of tea. I think he won the case too, stupid as it sounds. So just thinking of the not so into it people reading on here, if you know what I mean.
- goggsy no one in their right [or wrong] mind would even consider """putting the stuff between the pads and discs"""
- the squeal is the vibration caused when the brake pad backing plate comes in contact with the calliper or the backing of the pads that the piston pushes against

NOTE : The above are totally different pads, there only to show that some makers build in anti-squeal shims at manufacturing level.

Last edited by QinteQ; 05-11-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: oscilation has two L's in it