Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat "BeltAlert" - Do I have it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Question Passenger Seat "BeltAlert" - Do I have it?

Hi, All ...
I have a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country Touring van with a lot of extras. My last two T&C’s had a warning (tone & light) whenever the passenger’s seat belt was not fastened. So, obviously there was a sensor in the seat that detected a person there.

I’ve had this 2010 van for 7 months and I just recently noticed that there is no warning when a passenger has their seatbelt unfastened. I’m fairly observant, so I find it hard to believe that it took 7 months for me to notice it. I’m convinced it just started to happen. I had to take it into the dealership for some other issues last week, so I asked them to fix it. They assured me that my van is not equipped with it. And … well … I’m not completely sold on that.

The mechanic assured me that the seatbelt warning would not affect the way the airbags work (which was my main concern). He said that in a crash, all airbags are deployed, no matter what.

So I’ve tried to tell myself to be happy for one less noise in the car. However, it’s now the principle of the matter. I am SO sure it had it, and I need to know how to figure out if it is supposed to work. I’ve checked my window sticker, but there is no mention of anything to do with seatbelts. The owner’s manual is generic and doesn’t verify if my van is equipped with it or not.

Does anyone know how I can determine if my van is equipped with the “Beltminder” or “BeltAlert” for the passenger’s seat?

Appreciate your help – thanks!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

ACTIVE RESTRAINTS
The active restraints for this vehicle include:

Child Restraint Anchors - All vehicles are equipped with fixed-position child seat upper tether anchors, two for the second row bench seat, one for each optional second row bucket seat, and one for the optional third row split bench seating. These anchors are integral to the back of each second row or third row seat cushion frame. Two lower anchors are also provided for each second row seating position and two for the third row center seating position. These lower anchors are accessed from the front of the second row or third row seat where the seat back meets the seat cushion. The lower anchors are also integral to the seat cushion frames.
Front Seat Belts - Both front seating positions are equipped with three-point seat belt systems employing lower B-pillar mounted inertia latch-type emergency locking retractors, height-adjustable upper B-pillar mounted turning loops, a traveling lower seat belt anchor secured to the outboard side of the seat frame, and a traveling end-release seat belt buckle secured to the inboard side of the seat frame. The passenger side front seat belt retractor is switchable to an automatic locking retractor for compatibility with child seats. On all vehicles, the driver and passenger side front seat belt buckle includes an integral seat belt switch. On all vehicles, the passenger side front seat belt buckle includes an integral Hall Effect-type sensor and the drivers side seat belt buckle includes an integral Contact Type sensor. In each case, the seat belt switch or sensor detects whether the front seat belts have been fastened.
Integrated Child Booster Seats - Two integrated child booster seats are an available option on vehicles equipped with the optional swivel second row bucket seats covered in leather. The center section of the seat cushion of these seats is lifted up and rearward to raise the seat cushion four inches, which raises a child aged four to eight years old into the belted zone of the adult seat belts.
Integrated Child Safety Seats - Two integrated child safety seats are an available option on vehicles equipped with the second row two-passenger bench seat. These seats are for children at least one year old, weighing between 22 and 50 pounds and no more than 47 inches tall.
Second Row Seat Belts - All second row bench and bucket seating positions are equipped with three-point seat belt systems. On all seats except the optional swivel buckets, the second row seating position belts employ lower C-pillar mounted inertia latch-type emergency locking retractors, height-adjustable upper C-pillar mounted turning loops, self-cinching latch plates for compatibility with child seats, fixed lower seat belt anchors secured to the lower C-pillar (right side) or the floor panel near the base of the C-pillar (left side) and fixed end-release buckles secured to the seat cushion frames. The optional second row swivel bucket seats have seat back frame mounted inertia latch-type emergency locking retractors with integrated turning loops, self-cinching latch plates, traveling lower seat belt anchors and end-release buckles secured to the seat cushion frames. All second row seating positions have an inertia latch-type emergency locking retractor that is switchable to an automatic locking retractor for compatibility with child seats.
Third Row Seat Belts - In vehicles equipped with the optional third row split bench seat, all third row seating positions are equipped with three-point seat belt systems. The outboard seating position seat belts employ mid-quarter inner panel mounted inertia latch-type emergency locking retractors, fixed position inner roof rail mounted turning loops, self-cinching latch plates for compatibility with child seats, fixed lower seat belt anchors secured to the lower quarter inner panels, and fixed position end-release buckles secured to the seat frame. The center seating position employs a retractor and turning loop mounted to the upper liftgate opening header above the headliner and two fixed position end-release buckles (one conventional seat belt buckle and a keyed center belt anchor buckle) secured to the seat cushion frame.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 AM

So ... if I'm reading this correctly ... you're saying ALL 2010 Chrysler T&C's have a warning tone/light for the front passenger's seatbelt? And there is a good chance I'm not completely nuts? (well, regarding this issue, anyway! haha!) This would explain why I don't find it as an added option on my window sticker.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 AM

Hmmm ... but my owner's manual reads: "If the driver’s or front passenger’s (if equipped with beltalert) seat belt has not been buckled ..."

I've Googled "BeltAlert", which is a registered term, but have come up empty. It's the "if equipped" part that makes me question if my van is/is not supposed to warn me when my front passenger unbuckles their seatbelt.

But, since my van is equipped with all other warnings & sensors (lane changing, parking assistance, automatic windshield washers, etc.) I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have BeltAlert on the passenger's seat.