Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible CV shaft replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Default Possible CV shaft replacement?

My wifes 2010 Town and country has a developed this noise,,sounds like its coming from the front passenger side wheel. We had the wheel bearing replaced about a year ago,So we thought it might be the tire as they are not the greatest. I rotated the wheels from front to the back and took it for a drive and the problem was still there. So I jacked it up and put it in neutral and spun the wheel around,,didnt feel any grinding or rubbing,,no side to side wiggle in the tire so I assume the wheel bearing is fine. Dont feel any wobble or pulsing in the pedal when braking,So I assume the rotor and brakes are fine.

So I check the cv shaft,the boot isnt torn or any visible sign of a problem,,Dont really get a up down movement but when I tug on it in and out I get some play,,Not very much but it does move slightly. So I went to the driverside to compare it and that shaft didnt move at all,,So these shafts should have Zero slack and this is most likely my problem? I also notice the drivers side has a rubber dampner around the shaft in the middle and the passenger doesnt have one,,This normal?

What do you think?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Darn NOISES!..
While driving, if you make gentle left or right turns(like doing a sudden lane change maneuver) does the noise go away until you straighten back out? That would indicate a bad wheel bearing on the side that is "unloaded".