Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Default possible electrical problem

I am looking for any information I can find on the unusual problem. First I had an oil change on my 2002 Voyager 3.3 Flex at Wal-Mart. They threw some fuel injector cleaner because the computer was throwing code p0888. Autozone had told me this could be the oxygen sensor (high or low), or a fuel injector clogged because the fuel was burning too rich. Hoping this would fix the problem I had Wal-Mart spray the cleaner. This was cheaper than having the fuel injector replaced.

I just recently found out that the 3.3 is E-85 compatible and filled it up 12 hours later. Everything was running fine. I went out of town and came back with no problems. The next morning after running some errands, the van started to jerk when I stepped on the gas. I had heard that the E-85 fuel may make it sluggish, or jerky and you may be able to tell in some vehicles more than others. I didn't pay any attention to the jerkiness. About three miles down the road at the stoplight the van started to jerk real bad, it felt like it was choking out. Then it died. I restarted it and it ran for a few seconds than sounded as if I have put it in neutral. It ran in D,3,L, N and Park.

I parked the vehicle at a parking lot. Later on the van would not go in reverse at all. It still continued to be in this "Limp Mode." I did a search on limp mode and found out that you should still have P,R,N,and 2nd gear. I lost my reverse. I could only go forward for about 10 seconds, then I would have to restart the vehicle.

I started off with the easiest/cheapest solution. I changed the fluid and filter. Yes, I do use ATF plus 4. There was debri in the fluid. While bright red on top the actual sediment in the pan was laced with silver flakes. The magnet itself in the transmission pan looked as if it was growing hair. There was metal shavings but I would think some symptom was have presented itself before complete transmission failure. The research online said that the A604/ 4 speed transmission was notorious for metal shavings in the pan.

The next step was to try it out. Same problem-no reverse, drive for 10 seconds. I noticed when I accelerated on the gas only in reverse I would hear a sound similar to a back fire underneath the hood, not at the tailpipe. I tried this in neutral and park and it didn't do the "backfire" noise.

I started to do more research online and found out that the limp mode be set off by the EATX relay, or the TCM. The transmission has a computer by itself and sets codes off. The EATX relay, TCM and solenoid pack is tied together because of some engineering flaw according to the research. These three could be mal-functioning and sending the transmission into limp mode.

Now with this information I decided to do the easiest thing. I checked the relay. There are 4 or 5 relays that are the exact same under the hood in the relay box. Wiper hi/lo, wiper on, EATX shutdown relay, horn relay and I think one or two more. I knew the horn worked so I switched relay. I cranked up the vehicle and no fix. The problem continued.

The research also stated that I could check the circuit board by ohming the pins out and checking for continuity. Most of the research said it had to be the solenoid pack. It could be clogged. I called the dealership and it costs around $204. Since it is a Chrysler I have very limited selections in where to purchase the parts. I was going to take the solenoid pack out, but the plate on the solenoid pack said if removed the calibration could change and do not repair but replace. After heeding this warning I decided to call it quitts. I started the van and it was doing the same thing.

Then all of a sudden the EATX shutdown relay started clicking and the motor turned off. I was hoping this problem would be electrical and not a transmission, but I am at a lost now. I switched the relays again and it started to crank and then the relay starting clicking and the motor turned off. I am lost as to what to do now. I am leaning toward electrical. Maybe the guys at wal-mart spilled some oil on a connector and it is not making a good connection. [/align][/align]This morning it cranked up fine, so I am at a lost. I still don't get reverse. I don't know if I should just replace the solenoid pack or take it apart and try to unclogg it. I have received the wiring diagrams now and it looks like the solenoid pack would be the best way to go. There is a low reverse switch. Would this prevent reverse from working? When I called the dealership they told me that reverse was mechanical. Well if you consider the solenoid a mechanical object I would agree with his statement. The solenoid assembly goes to the TCM. So I thinking the TCM will shut off reverse and put the limp mode on. If anyone has had a problem similar to mine or some suggestions I would appreciate it.[/align]

Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Default hello

That notice meant that they don't want you taking apart the solinoid, but replacing it is okay. You can't unclog it because of the sign, don't take apart the soilinoid it is calibrated. To unclog you would have to know which electrical pins open up which valves anyway.

Sounds like something ate up you transmission, with all them metal shavings in there. They say the welds are too thin inside this transmission so break and need rebuilt. The a604 is so common your better off replacing it with a junk yard one. I can get one in Texas for about $150 from the junkyard, 75% chance it is good.

Also when you change the oil and filter your only replacing half the fluids. You would have to do a flush to get all the old transmission fluid out.

Also if you replace the transmission with newer clutches (and automatic transmissions have them) or even if you replacement transmission has newer clutches then you have to reset the transmission computer. It controls fluids flow depending on the clutch where and tear, and has to be reset. Reseting it on yours could be done with obdII probably. I don't know, and if you go with the junkyard tranmission be sure to grab the corresponding transmission computer so you don't have to reset yours.