General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical issues - possible to fix on my own?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Default Electrical issues - possible to fix on my own?

I have a 2004 Sebring Convertible that has run pretty well but I have recently run into some problems

Here is the run down

In the winter the heater stopped working. The blower itself worked but there was no heat coming out. So I parked it for a few weeks until the weather warmed as I didn't have money to fix at the time.

Anyway, after those few weeks I started it up and it was idling very rough. Then it shut down.

Flash to today.

The battery was completely dead and wouldn't charge. So I replaced the battery myself (what a treat that was...) and sure enough the car fired up and the idle was smooth

Now, I have found the radio and right blinker do not work and the air bag light is on. I am thinking I must have some electrical issue going on.

Just for kicks I drove the car around the block a few times and it ran smooth. No rough or low idle and no stalling or shutting down.

Any thoughts on what I might have to have fixed or replaced?

Thanks all

Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM

a little update

I checked all fuses...working just fine

also the radio came on this time but not again so the problem seems to be back and forth (working one time and not the other)

Old 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM

You "might" have to replace the radio. When they start to go, they act like that, working some times and not others. Try pulling the IOD fuse (the one with "ears" in the center of the panel at the end of the dash) to reset the radio. It might work after that but if it fails again, it's probably on its last legs.
For the blinker, first check for bulbs. That's the easiest and cheapest solution that might fix the problem. Might also be the multifunction switch at the base of the blinker stalk.
The air bag problem could be many things including the clockspring. You didn't mention horn or cruise control problems which could also be related to the clockspring but you might not have noticed those problems yet.
Many electrical problems can be diagnosed at the dealer with their computer equipment. They will charge you $80-100 to run the diagnosis but often will apply that toward the repairs if you decide to have it repaired there.
The airbag problem should be referred to an expert with the correct diagnostic equipment. There's no real point in long-distance guessing. Get it fixed, it could save your life.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Statistically, the most common "airbag light on" condition is the squib having fired in one of the seat belt pretensioners. Have you done a crash stop recently? The firing element in the little piston should read about 2ohm. The micro. checks this resistance during routine initialization, and if o/c (having fired) will illuminate the airbag light. You can tell easily if a seat belt clasp has fired as it will be a lot shorter than the rest. Something like 4" shorter. Fortunately you can replace this part with a new one. Anything else in the airbag department is for professionals only.

Leedsman.