Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems Refueling

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Typically the a tank vent tube is dented restricting flow. No idea if this applies to a Euro spec van.
Ok guys having spent sometime working on this today I'm inclined to agree. My next question is which tube......?

I have today took the filler-neck of the tank, thinking there might be a blockage, but there is NO blockage. Either in the fill pipe or the connection pipe into the tank.

Diesel flows freely through both, but the minute i fasten everything back up it will not accept diesel.

There is a series of vent tubes one from the rear of the tank and one from the front, which all lead to a a small plastic bottle, which is fastened on a bracket, attached to the filler-neck. There is also a tube from the top of the filler neck which goes into to this bottle, and its clear this bottle is there to act as a vent/breather system

There is no sign of any damage to the one that comes from the front, as for the back one, only a little part is visible. The only option would be to drop the whole tank, which is my next step.

Pending there being NO to damage to the other tube, which rite now I'm hoping there is..........!

Am I correct in assuming that the small plastic bottle, with it's fixed tubes, is the problem. I suspect the bottle and it tubes will be a dealer part and quite expensive.

but I do have a question with regards these tubes, they have clips on which i am having a problem undoing I would like to know how they come apart. It is clear that this bottle has been designed so that it can be replaced.

cheers Tom

Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TomC
Hi guys

i hope someone can help with this problem as I'm completely stumped on this one.

I have a 2001 UK Grand Voyager 2.5CRD and when I try to fill it up with diesel, the diesel pump keeps cutting out before i can even get a liter in the tank. It takes me around 10 mins to put 10 liters in the tank.

It keeps cutting out like there is back pressure in the tank or it is full, which it isn't. I've left the diesel cap of just in case there was pressure in the the tank but this has made no difference. The fuel gauge works perfectly normal and I'm averaging around 34.6 miles to the gallon tickover can be a bit erratic sometimes but not all the times.

Now I'm due trip to scotland but i don't fancy having to fill her up, as its likely to take me an hour just to fill her up

any suggestions welcome.
Hi guys

I think I've got the answer to this one. When filling up hold the pump gun with the hose at the 10 o clock position. The nozzle fits right in and theres no cutting out. My 2001 G/Voyager drove me nuts till I sussed it and my 2007 is exactly the same. Thinking about it my 2004 Kia Sedona had the same problem if you held the hose in the normal 6 o clock position it keeps cutting out. It looks a bit odd with nozzle nearly upside down but it works.
Hope this works for you all
Regards John.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM

My 2005 diesel Grand Voyager has a bit of a problem when fuelling. Like JK I found that rotating the filler nozzle usually works, not had to go as far as 10 oclock though. This is my 3rd voyager and they have all had this problem to a degree.

I would try it before changing too many parts

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 AM

Hi Guys

Me again. What I should have said is make shure the pump nozzle goes in as far as it can with the hose about the 9-10 o clock position. There must be a vent pipe near the top of the filler neck and as long as the nozzle end is well past it thing are ok.

Regards John.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi Guys

Me again. What I should have said is make shure the pump nozzle goes in as far as it can with the hose about the 9-10 o clock position. There must be a vent pipe near the top of the filler neck and as long as the nozzle end is well past it things are ok.

Regards John.

Sorry for duplication but but computer or website had a hissy fit.

Last edited by J K Portland; 12-03-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by J K Portland
Hi Guys

Me again. What I should have said is make shure the pump nozzle goes in as far as it can with the hose about the 9-10 o clock position. There must be a vent pipe near the top of the filler neck and as long as the nozzle end is well past it things are ok.
Well I will certainly be trying your suggestion and just to confirm yes there is a vent on the filler neck it is just where the the neck narrows and the little flap is positioned.

As for replacing the little plastic bottle which is called a vapour separator with the three hoses it comes complete with the filler neck and is priced at a very thrifty £325 (NOT)

dealer part only lol

Last edited by TomC; 12-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM

What happens is the 'gun' has a sensor that automatically stops the fuel pumping when it receives an indication that the tank is now full. In some cases the gun in the wrong position splashes fuel back off the wall of the filler pipe onto the sensor or the anti-theft baffle, the sensor thinks the tank is full, and the pump switches itself off.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Hi guys

I have a 2001 UK Grand Voyager 2.5CRD and when I try to fill it up with diesel, the diesel pump keeps cutting out before i can even get a liter in the tank. It takes me around 10 mins to put 10 liters in the tank.

It keeps cutting out like there is back pressure in the tank or it is full, which it isn't. I've left the diesel cap of just in case there was pressure in the the tank but this has made no difference.

any suggestions welcome.
Hi Tom,

I found I had the same problem too, especially when I used to fill up at Morrison filling stations.

I simply put the petrol pump gun in upside down and slight angled towards the front of the car into the tank inlet, and it filled up a treat and quickly. It even clicked off when it filled up.

I also suggest you support the fuel gun and hose when in the upwards position so as not to put any pressure on the fuel inlet of the car, and when removing it after filling, I rotated the gun counter clockwise towards the filler cap door and carefully passed the lower splash flap near the trigger of the filling gun past the car fuel cap door to extract the filler.

Lately I have resorted to using Premium diesel instead of the regular from supermarkets.

It may be 8p per litre more, but have found the filler does not need to go in upside down (Shell V Power), the exhaust fumes smell a great deal nicer, as does the odour coming from the auxiliary cabin heater after turning the engine off, and the car runs so much better.

Happy and safe travels my friend
HH

Last edited by HellasHaggis; 12-08-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 AM

Hi Well just an update and I don't know if this is connected to the fuelling problem but last night when i came out of Morrisson's my car wouldn't start at all I had plenty of fuel in it but wouldn't Go.

My cousin came and we put jump leads on and tried again (as I'd flattened the battery trying first time) it fired up after about 7 or 8 attempts I then drove home, but when i got home and turned the engine off and when into the house I came back out 15 mins later only for it to do the same again.

However it did start eventually and turning it over 7 or 8 times constantly I'm suspecting either Glow plugs or an Injectors can anyone offer anymore pointers please I'm still having problem filling up no matter what position I put the filler neck at

Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Hi Well just an update and I don't know if this is connected to the fuelling problem but last night when i came out of Morrisson's my car wouldn't start at all I had plenty of fuel in it but wouldn't Go.

My cousin came and we put jump leads on and tried again (as I'd flattened the battery trying first time) it fired up after about 7 or 8 attempts I then drove home, but when i got home and turned the engine off and when into the house I came back out 15 mins later only for it to do the same again.

However it did start eventually and turning it over 7 or 8 times constantly I'm suspecting either Glow plugs or an Injectors can anyone offer anymore pointers please I'm still having problem filling up no matter what position I put the filler neck at
Sourced to the problem to this one it is not connected to the fuel tank problem, this was down to fuel injectors no 3 injector seriously leaking need to be replaced. Still not sussed refuelling but will post once i find a solution

Quick Reply: Problems Refueling