Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Starting Problem 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Default Random Starting Problem 3.8L

First off, i'd like to thank you in advance for your help. also, i have searched and found similar problems that people have had but they have not followed up on the resolution of the problem. also, no one has addressed problems with thier gauges...that said. i elected to start a new thread on this issue.

Randomlythe car will not start.It could be sitting for an hour or over night before it will start again like nothing was wrong.All that happens when it will not start is a slight clicking coming form the relay box on the driver side under the hood (although it is my mom's car and i have only been there for one failure and noticed the clicking then. i do not know if it occurs every time it will not start). When it does start, it starts fine and continues until the vehicle is turned off. Sometimes the gauges will drop to zero when it is runningbutall the lights/instruments are on...no dimming or flickering...no problems with the engine when this happens.

We have detemrined that the starter and battery are fine. The terminals have been cleaned. A private mechanic has looked at it andtold us to take it to the dealership. the dealership cannot find the problem either. I also do not think it is the starter relay since the gauges go awryrandomly when it is running...however, these could be two separate problems. Also, if it was the starter relay, i would think the starting problems would me more consistent.

On one instance the CEL came on giving a 'communications code' --says the private mechanic. he speculates that it is the ignition switch/relay.

dealer says it could be the ECU breaking down or the battery cables.

any idea where to start?

Old 05-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Random Starting Problem 3.8L

if it is a bus (communications issue) then the dealer is unfortunately the one that needs to look at it. What model year is it?

Old 05-31-2008, 05:52 PM

its a '99 T&C. We already gave the dealer 90 bucks for a diagnostics. turned up nothing but speculations.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 PM

that diag charge should count towards any repair made, and for further diagnostics if nothing was found the first attempt. If you do have a problem with the dealer trying to charge you again for diag a quick conversation with the service manager will remedy that quickly. You can try the relay if youwant, they shouldn't be too much at a napa or other parts store. If it doesn't start try this.

while turning the key bang on the instrument panel right above the cluster. there is a circuit board in there that can get an initermittent short in the ignition circuit and will cause these vans to intermittently not start. If it starts up when you bang on it then the board needs replacing.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:20 AM

thanks johnny...we'll try that next time it acts up.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

U need a printed circuit board in the cluster get the dealer to install and program sence u have spent 90 on it so far.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Hi there,

I have had pretty much the same problem in my 1997 Voyager and I actually slapped it on the dash (thought it was a losse connection) once already and then the car was fine for a few weeks and then just suddenly after giving the interior carpet a clean and then leaving all the doors open for a while, the same happened again. (upper warning lights lit up, but instrument cluster was simply dead and then the car would start for a few seconds and then die again). This time no matter how much,hard or often I hit the dash, it made no difference to the instrument cluster. I decided to bite the bullet and have the car towed to the Chrysler dealer and they have told me that it is a short in the BUS conections and they have to find out which wire is causing the short. They also said that when they plugged in the diagnostic computer, then there were a multitude of electrical issues, but after I asked them to describe it more specifically what, then they couldnt answer me and said that they have to use the chrysler electrician to find out. They have decided to call in the Chrysler Electrician whom charges AU$130 per hour to find the problem and they have allowed themselves some space to charge me by saying that it may take up to a week to find the short. One thing I did notice is that the orange lights for the controls for the air con, rear wiper, rear demister were contantly flashing all the time after the car was started. It is really bugging me, considering that after i found out it costs $750 to repair the power window regulator, then I can only have nightmares on what they will charge for the electrician. Am I better to pull the car out now, before they send me broke or leave it in their trusty hands that after a big $ sign they could find the problem.

I have already sourced a wrecked voyager of the same year for parts from a wrecker not too far away and am tempted to ask them how much (after reading the previous posts) for the ECU and also the instrument cluster, so that I can do my own experimenting.

Anyone have any suggestions?