Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommend a OBD2 scan tool for 2002 Chrysler Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 PM

For ordinary Chrysler ODB2 'P' codes they're already available on the key dance, for B C and U codes you'll need at least a Launch as mentioned above. I can guarantee that you won't get even close to manufacturer specific codes short of about £350 [ish] for a 'grey'. Most 'indies' have a scanner, most 'indies' have the type of scanner that won't read Chrysler [network] codes network, chassis and body codes other than the 'generic' ones have always been obfuscated by most manufacturers anyway.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:20 AM

Last week i went to a local garage and asked if they read codes and he said it wasnt really something they do but could try. He then went to the back and came bac with one of those very cheap Autel scanners that sell for about a tenner on ebay. he connected it to my GV and came up blank. Couldnt believe a garage had such a "useless" scanner

Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Last week i went to a local garage and asked if they read codes and he said it wasn't really something they do but could try. He then went to the back and came back with one of those very cheap Autel scanners that sell for about a tenner on ebay. he connected it to my GV and came up blank. Couldn't believe a garage had such a "useless" scanner
- try a few other local's mate, someone will have one
- or just be blunt and ask first if they can read Chrysler manufacturers 'C' & 'U' codes
- mention to them yours is a pre CAN-bus [2001] logic model

Best of luck mate.

Last edited by QinteQ; 02-06-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:52 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by darkcild101
You can get a chinese copy of Mercedes Star system from china and mdchanics on Merc forum s swear it looks and does exactly what gne genuine Star does only its £130 brand new as oppossd to over £500 for a second hand star

Surely there must be chrysler diagnostics copies/cclones out there. ?
the latest Chrysler Witec is available as a clone, still expensive though. BUT the witech won't talk to the pre can bus voyagers. The only chrysler tool is the DRBIII and it's too old and limited for them to bother cloning one

Regards
Richard

Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Haven't seen a second hand DRB III in the UK for years, they still fetch north of $1000 in the USA if you can find one. The laptop based non-CAN emulator DRB III clone has been around for some years but that also costs an arm and a leg.

darkcild101 has not said what in the particular he needs a reader for, but to be honest he's better finding a good auto electrician or a Chrysler specific techie who likes chewing with old school wiring diagrams at govvie-mates rates. There must be loads of mechies that worked on and knew these vehicles inside out - its finding one still alive and working that's difficult. Clearly darkcild101 loves his MOTA and tries hard to find DIY fix's, sometimes however its just not economic for him to get a technician / engineer to get involved. Best of luck darkcild101.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Haven't seen a second hand DRB III in the UK for years, they still fetch north of $1000 in the USA if you can find one. The laptop based non-CAN emulator DRB III clone has been around for some years but that also costs an arm and a leg.

darkcild101 has not said what in the particular he needs a reader for, but to be honest he's better finding a good auto electrician or a Chrysler specific techie who likes chewing with old school wiring diagrams at govvie-mates rates. There must be loads of mechies that worked on and knew these vehicles inside out - its finding one still alive and working that's difficult. Clearly darkcild101 loves his MOTA and tries hard to find DIY fix's, sometimes however its just not economic for him to get a technician / engineer to get involved. Best of luck darkcild101.
I think I will just have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer with my tail between my legs. I just think £90 for diagnostics is a bit steep

Here is dealers quote to me

Thank You for your enquiry

Diagnostic time is charged at £90 per hour inc vat

This will cover any small fixes we can do on the day

Key programming would half an hour cost of £45 inc vat

New key cost is £95.20inc vat and this will need coded in

Due to the age of the vehicle I will need to organise thespecial tool from Jeep to programme the keys so I will need prior notice of thevehicles arrival to enable the job to be done in one day

Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 PM

I bought my code reader off of e-bay for about £50 delivered a couple of years ago. It reads and clears codes on my Jaguar, on my Chrysler, and on my wife's Ford. My neighbour has used it on his VW, his Vauxhall, and his sister's peugeot. Lists several other major brands. Does not work on my Triumph Spitfire...but that is because the Spitfire is agricultural!!!

All in all it is a very useful tool that has helped me with several diagnoses and repairs. So it has paid for itself over and over. Most codes will be simple CEL codes, and maybe 20% of these will not quickly return if cleared...based upon my own experience, not on an exhaustive research of industry! These tools are better than the key dance; but not a full dealer diagnosis.

As an amateur mechanic (dilletante) this serves me well. If I had a CEL on a car, then I have a good chance of fixing it with a £50 code reader. For that money you can also collect live data from key engine sensors...never had to use that function, but it is there and it works.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Munro
I bought my code reader off of e-bay for about £50 delivered a couple of years ago. It reads and clears codes on my Jaguar, on my Chrysler, and on my wife's Ford. My neighbour has used it on his VW, his Vauxhall, and his sister's peugeot. Lists several other major brands. Does not work on my Triumph Spitfire...but that is because the Spitfire is agricultural!!!

All in all it is a very useful tool that has helped me with several diagnoses and repairs. So it has paid for itself over and over. Most codes will be simple CEL codes, and maybe 20% of these will not quickly return if cleared...based upon my own experience, not on an exhaustive research of industry! These tools are better than the key dance; but not a full dealer diagnosis.

As an amateur mechanic (dilletante) this serves me well. If I had a CEL on a car, then I have a good chance of fixing it with a £50 code reader. For that money you can also collect live data from key engine sensors...never had to use that function, but it is there and it works.
What is the name of the scanner and what model is your Chrysler and year

Thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 PM

Which [for £50] codes ?

Powertrain / Body / Chassis / Network Codes

Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 AM
tfb

The OP has a petrol voyager, doubt it will work on diesels though

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: recommend a OBD2 scan tool for 2002 Chrysler Voyager