Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Default Replace Key Fob

I recently got a 2014 T&C that came with only 1 fob. My car has the push to start feature.

A friend recently got rid of a 2015 T&C and had an extra key (also has the push to start feature).

I thought I could just get the key re-programmed and took it to a dealer yesterday. The dealer's service department said they cannot wipe and re-program fobs. They can only program new, unused fobs. Can anyone confirm this? Is there any way to wipe and re-program? I really don't want to buy a new fob.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2018, 01:21 PM

They are correct. key fobs cannot be reprogrammed once they have been already.
Check ebay and amazon for key fobs that you can then take in to have programmed. (Much cheaper)
I just bought two for my 2007 Chrysler 300C and the local dealer programmed one of them for me. (Just over 60 bucks for the programming, and 25 bucks for two replacement fobs from ebay)
I then programmed the third one myself.
I had to disconnect the battery after the two new ones were programmed so that they would both be recognized.
They would start the car, but the buttons did not work, until the battery was disconnected for a couple of minutes. then all worked fine.

Read up on the programming of key fobs for your car. With mine, if you already have two that are programmed, you can program additional ones yourself.
If you do decide to do what I did and get an extra one, take the battery out and hide it in the car with the battery.
I've had to get people towed when their key fobs battery died, so an extra fob, AND battery in the car is a very good idea.

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 04-18-2018 at 01:27 PM.