Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report, EGR disablement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Default Report, EGR disablement.

I've just had the particulate matter emissions report after exhaust gas analysis for MOT, and I'm happy to say there has been a dramatic reduction since last year of around 45%.
This has to mean a reduction of wasted fuel, (which is showing up in the figures), and it looks like as time wears on the injectors are not getting sooted as much as previously.

Unfortunately I'm not happy to say the GV failed MOT as he discovered a broken front nearside road spring. Curiously, this made no difference to handling, braking, and no lean to one side. The spring was broken right at the top. However...
The two LED driving lamps I fitted were perfectly ok for MOT. he said so long as one doesn't alter the front sidelights away from maker's spec. He was happy with the modified handbrake lever to be longer for easier operation and more braking force.

As we get on well, it emerged in conversation with the tester that EGR disablement was a moot point, best not mentioned, but removing any DPF filter box if fitted by the maker, would be an instant fail MOT. But I did get from the gist of the conversation, that if there was nothing inside the DPF filter box, the tester would not know. BTW there is no NOX test for diesel vehicles in UK.

For those not having read my previous postings, the disablement was by the solenoid vacuum valve, i.e. unplugging its control plug so it was no longer under micro. control. This has the advantage if you wish to go back to "as it was", you just reconnect the plug.

Leedsman.
p.s. Now I'm wondering -- does my 2006 2.8 CRD have a diesel particulate filter? Ok, I should have looked when it was up on the ramp!

Last edited by Leedsman; 06-15-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Something I forgot.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
tfb

rodding the DPF out is a damn good idea, but you also need to reflash the ECU to stop the extra injection pulses.

Glad to hear the EGR mod is going well

Regards
Richard

Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Thankyou tfb, when you say "you also need to reflash the ECU to stop the extra injection pulses", do you mean the now-and-again DPF cleaner pulses to burn off the carbon in the DPF, or one of the five separate fuel injection pulses per power stroke? I'm not too familiar with the injection strategy on this partic. engine. I can only find a catalyser on this car's exhaust system, (2006 2.8 CRD) plus a small box near the manifold which I assume is an expansion box. But I'm aware some makers, like Renault, put their DPF right up against the manifold as it gets so hot there it doesn't need the carbon burning off now and again.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 06-15-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Another taxpayer con on motorists.

The concept that we protect ourselves by blowing concentrated coal lumps on the M25 is as ludicrous as the 'pram headed' muppett who invented the idea in the first place. Regen means the Dpf spits out the lump of coal its choking on into the bit of the environment we call a road to be smashed into particles by everyone and his auntie rushing home for their beans on toast. No core = no back pressure = no soot = no overburn regen registered as required. Apart from the politics of the Kyoto unit, carbon trading makes mi££ions if not tri££ions for someone and we all pay through the fuel pump price, even before we get the first squirt we have our mileage and wallets watered down by up to 20% methanol.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Good update Leedsman good to know your findings.
Solenoid Vacuum Valve, I take it you mean as in my 2.5, the valve at front of engine with an electrical plug and 2 black small bore hoses connected.
I noticed a vid on You Tube which was in Turkish or sommit, and they screwed a self tapper into one of the hose fittings on the valve. Remembered it as it was the same as mine.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM

Yes indeed, Goggs, the two black pipes to this valve are dis-similar sizes so you can't get them the wrong way round. As mentioned, this vacuum-valve operated by the micro. via a two-pin plug controls another valve that lets some exhaust gas into the inlet manifold during modest power outputs only. This other valve I've been calling the actual EGR valve as its piston is up against the exhaust gas.

Incidentally, all the foul-up in this EGR area with black gunge is more likely to be crankcase oilfumes mixing with the hot gas, as most crankcase vent schemes go for burning the fumes via the inlet manifold. So if you want to keep things cleaner, vent the fumes some other way. In the old days fumes were just vented to the air via a small black pipe to the oil filler cap. Maybe finding the vent tube and leading it to a canister full of cotton wool to catch the oil fumes might be appropriate nowadays. These fumes of course are simply a little blow-by from the piston/cylinder assy. Old engines will be worse with these fumes naturally.

Now...
Can someone tell me if and where there is a DPF filter on the 2.8 diesel? Mine is 2006, and DPFs only became a legal requirement in 2009, although many were fitted much earlier.

Leedsman.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Now...

Can someone tell me if and where there is a DPF filter on the 2.8 diesel? Mine is 2006, and DPFs only became a legal requirement in 2009, although many were fitted much earlier.
I've no idea, I've just checked the Chrysler manuals for you, there's no mention in the 2005-RG-Diesel-Powertrain.pdf of a DPF or indeed any of the workshop manuals for this generation of builds. Ask tfb, as stated I've never dealt with my own EGR [and associated issues] for the reasons I've already given. Impressive work on the EGR mod - keep up the good work.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks for your researches Qinteq, I've not been able to find any data either. I checked the vehicle handbook -- nothing. My jag. handbook had a fair amount about how to regenerate the DPF and when most likely. to need it.
There seems to be a huge amount out there about DPFs and the costs involved with them, so much so that some people are avoiding diesels and going for petrol instead, esp. if they don't do big mileages. I will fully agree that if you are paying someone else to look after your motor, diesels can be prohibitively expensive on maintenance.
I suppose my next motor therefore will be an LPG converted petrol jobbie...

So.....it's starting to look like there is no DPF on a 2006 CRD GV. Hope so...

Leedsman.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:34 AM

I'm registered with Blue print - I've just searched their dBASE and no show for my years. Although our IV Gen is listed as 2000 - 2008 I think my actual build date range for example is April 1st 2004 to 31st Dec 2007. This rage would fit .... the bodyshell was changed in 2004 and finished in 2007 before the next uplift in 2008 when Euro IV was both Jan 05 but the NOx PM's was the Sept 09 Euro issue. The short-wheelbase and model was sent to the Mopar in the sky and the stow'n Go became Swivel'n Go and a proper 6-speed transmission and the new V6 engine was installed. As the Americans only use petrol and the GV CD is sold into only 2 areas of the world its difficult to get specific information so we are left with a best guess - my guess the were bankrupt at the time and no change was probably what happened - so ho DPF in our date range for me.

Last edited by QinteQ; 06-16-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Euro IV was both Jan 05 but the NOx PM's was the Sept 09 Euro issue.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 PM
tfb

DPF's are only fitted to the post 2008 shape Voyagers - fifth generation.

As for the ECU, it's the post power phase injections during active regeneration that need to be squelched together will the monitoring sub routines

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: Report, EGR disablement.