Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Default Starts but won't stay running

My '02 T&C with a 3.8 engine that will turn over and start the first few times I try but will not stay running, doesn't matter if your giving it gas or not only runs for a few seconds then dies. After a few tries it then just clicks although all power accessories still work (dash, radio, blower, etc.) She has 300+K miles and suffered warped head, she sat in the yard for the last year, until I could finish school and find time to work on her. We had the front head machined (hoping that's the one that's warped as I couldn't get the back exhaust manifold off to have the other head done as well---keep in mind my husband is placating me in trying to fix her as I am sentimentally attached having raised my kids with her. So this is "my" project and he is hands off.) she started right up and ran fine around the country block, other than an anitfreeze leak by the passenger tire, guessing water pump. I'll figure that out later. Sat for the next work week or more as I had to recharge the battery, and come the weekend it started with only clicking which after much research I figured out the security system had engaged. Now it's just the start, run a few seconds and die, giving gas does nothing for it.
I have checked the fuel pump and fuel pump relay fuses, detached the temperature sensor (behind the thermostat). The engine ground is intact and connected although mildly corroded with antifreeze from previous overheats, I don't know if that would keep it from running.
If you have ideas please give them to me in simple terms, I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic and don't know all the car terminology. I rely heavily on youtube...
I am almost at the end of $ that I can keep putting into her and will have to start looking at recycling if I can't get her going. He wants his driveway space back for running cars.

Attached Thumbnails Starts but won't stay running-van.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM

I've never been an advocate of this but it's tough to argue with success:

Last edited by Raptor 07; 08-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the idea Raptor 07! I am going to try it out. I didn't know that just locking and unlocking the car wouldn't solve the security issue. I'll let you know what happens!