Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel locks up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Default steering wheel locks up

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 Town & Country AWD and I've had this problem for about two years now. Usually in colder weather, when the car is cold, and when I've just started thevan and just started to move, mysteering wheel will lock up.It always seems to be when I'm trying to turn the wheel left.If Itry to force it, it will kind of pop, like it's releasing, and then itwill be perfectly fine for the rest of the trip. I've discovered recently that if I stop tryingto turn left and turn the wheel slightly to the right, it will release easily and then I can turn left with no problem. Needless to say, I always startout very slowly until I've had that one instance of the wheel locking up and then of its release.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be causing it?

I'm extremely non-technical so please speak in layman's terms if you have any thoughts on this. I searched through the forums and didn't find anything similar but if you know it's been discussed before, I'd be grateful if you'd point me to the link.

Thanks,
Tanya

Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Default RE: steering wheel locks up

hope this might help.

-first of all, visual inspection.
take somebody who knows something about cars to visualy check the steering system.
there must not be any hanging parts blocking the movement of the steering components (push rods and all that stuff behind the wheels). in the cabin, there is a joint (kardan joint, I think it's called) at your feet, whrere the pedals are connected to the body. don't forget to see if it moves freely.
-second thing to look at is the main ignition/keyhole. it's the place where you insert your ignition key and you turn it to start the engine. there is a locking device incorporated in it and if it's not greased, on cold weather you could expirience difficulties with moving part that is supposed to block the steering (prevention of theft). that part can be taken out, checked and lubricated.
-third place is the steering system itself.
if nothing else helps, I think you will have to take the car to the workshop and have them inspect your steering. chrysler pro's here might know something else (like changing steering fluid) that can help, but I'm almost sure it has to be one of this things.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Default RE: steering wheel locks up

Thanks very much for the fast reply. This car has been nothing but trouble since I got it back in late 2000 - always needing some type of repair. I had the car into the shop some time ago for somethingtotally unrelatedand mentioned this problem to the mechanic. He did a visual inspection and I think he changed the power steering fluid (almost sure but not totally). He suggested it might have to do with the Rack & Pinion system and estimated about $1000 if that was the problem. I'm not sure I believe what he told me as there were several instances where he "fixed" a problem but then I had to return the car again for additional repairs. (I've since stopped using that particular mechanic). Again,I'm totally inept when it comes to cars, so I don't know ifRack & Pinion issues could be the problem or not. Any thoughts?