Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Top-tip when servicing hand-brake.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Default Top-tip when servicing hand-brake.

There are many postings here on how to service problematic handbrakes on GVs, all are very good, but there is one last thing to do, not previously mentioned.

Acquire an aerosol can of brake cleaner and remove the grey plastic cover of handbrake assy. (easy). Shove an old towel or some such under the assembly of clutches and springs at bottom of handbrake lever, then give the whole self adjusting cable mechanism a good squirting with the brake cleaner, while at the same time working the lever up and down a good few times. Leave for 5mins. or so and repeat two more times.
This will clear out any greasy "traffic film" from the self-adjust mech., and an improvement will be noticed. If it is greasy, the 1st. application of the handbrake in the morning will need a lot of clicks. A second immediate application will requre noticeably less clicks. Chrysler's idea was that once you have applied the handbrake for the first time, all the cable slack will be taken up, leading to a much more efficient handbrake on subsequent applications. Whatsmore, it should STAY THAT WAY over time.
Leedsman.

Addendum 22/7/16. (It's taken all this time to be sure).
Very soon after I did this clean-up on the handbrake lever assy. clutches, I had to take the G.V. for an MOT. It didn't fail, but I got an advisory "faint squeaking from rear N/S wheel".
So I went for a short drive, and sure enough, there WAS a faint squeak-squeak fron N/S wheel.
A jack-up of said wheel revealed after some investigation that the hand-brake shoes were very slightly touching the drums. This I fixed easily by backing off the adjuster only one notch. Now here's the conclusion: Before I cleaned-up the clutches at base of handbrake lever with brake cleaner, there was NO squeaking from anywhere, and I listen for unusual noises all the time when driving on account of it could cost me money.

I think this demonstrates some point in cleaning that assy. of clutches at handbrake lever bottom, as I can't figure any other way the shoe adjustment could have altered, admittedly by a very small amount. So it's a defo QED. here folks...
Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-22-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Test results.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM

Thanks Leedsman, I'll certainly give that a try.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Nice one Leedsman.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:28 AM

Thanks

Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 PM

Nearly died when Halfords charged me £6.99 for a can. When I was in the motor trade used to buy it by the case and there was always a half empty can to be found. LOL. Also works well on model railways as track cleaner but best we keep that quiet.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:50 PM

In Leeds I paid £3 for a surprizingly large can. £7 sounds like a rip-off to me. But then it is rip-off Britain according to the BBC.
Leedsman.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Hi Leedsman.

Gave the handbrake your brake cleaner treatment and it worked like magic. MOT today so fingers crossed.

Many thanks. John.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Did it pass?
Leedsman.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Did it pass?
Leedsman.
Yes it did. Just an advisory about the inner faces of the front discs getting a bit knackered. Once again thanks for the tip Leedsman.

Regards John.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 AM

The front discs are not expensive and it's not a difficult job to do as I did mine some time ago.
Leedsman.