Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Towing Package Changes 2011 to 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM

STilt66
Good choice on the van!
Quick question; did you get 4 wireless headsets and 2 remotes or just a box with 2 headsets and 1 remote?
Mine came with just 2 headsets and 1 remote which puzzled me as then why the 2 screens and capability to watch different programing from different rows but only 2 headsets?
Also, was your trailer wiring harness installed?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Let's see pics!! (incl ones of the hitch & wiring)

Congrats!!

Can't wait to get our '12.

Originally Posted by STilt66
It's official.... we signed papers for a 2012 Town & Country Limited last night. The vehicle we chose had the towing package and 2nd row fixed bucket seats in addition to the long list of standard features. At the end of the game we were about 6% below the sticker price. Not sure how well that compares to other folks, but I think it's a good deal....looking forward to many good years with this fine automobile.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Red face 2012 Towing Package

Originally Posted by skers
I noticed that also about the 2012's
I just purchased a 2011 because of the "heavy duty" stuff, Not that we tow with it; we just thought it could help with the longevity of the engine & tranny. We do load the van with adults going to football games so the load leveling was a must.
I purchased a class III hitch for bike racks (most racks and trailers need a 2" receiver, thus the class III)
I am not sure why Chrysler does not list the items listed on the 2011's nor why they are now including a small class II hitch?
You could ask a dealer but good luck, they do not have a clue and will give you some lame answer......
I bought a lightly used 2012 Touring L with tow package. Wiring was included. I am glad to hear from Chrysler rep about the heavy duty items. Some peace of mind there. I recently purchased a 2500 lb (dry weight) travel trailer and intend to break it in this weekend. I will report back on performance. One thing I have noticed is that the transmission seems to hunt for gears even on level surfaces. Hope this doesn't spell trouble down the line.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM

jtull55,

Make sure your vehicle has the most updated Trans software. Since its a used vehicle, the prior owner may not have had the TSB listed below performed:

TSB: 21-012-12 REV. B

SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Shift Quality Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2011 - 2013 RT Caravan/Town & Country

NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles built with 3.6L engine (sales code
ERB) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2) built before September 26, 2012

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may notice any of the following:
· Harsh 1-3 upshift while operating in Economy (ECO) mode.
· Harsh 2-3 upshift while operating in normal mode.
NOTE: For 2012 model year, the harsh 1-3 upshift in Economy Mode and the harsh
2-3 upshift in Normal Mode was corrected in the revised software enhancements that were released in Service Bulletin 21-008-12 dated March 23, 2012.
· 1-2 upshift clunk following a throttle back out (2012 - 2013 model year only).
In addition to correcting the previous Symptom/Conditions, the following enhancements have been made to improve the shift quality of the 62TE transmission:
· Shift schedule changes for the 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 upshifts and the 6-4P, 6-5, and 5-4 downshifts.
· Fifth gear torque converter lock-up/unlock improvements.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Default Towing Report with 2012 T&C

Originally Posted by jtull55
I bought a lightly used 2012 Touring L with tow package. Wiring was included. I am glad to hear from Chrysler rep about the heavy duty items. Some peace of mind there. I recently purchased a 2500 lb (dry weight) travel trailer and intend to break it in this weekend. I will report back on performance. One thing I have noticed is that the transmission seems to hunt for gears even on level surfaces. Hope this doesn't spell trouble down the line.
Returned from the break in with the 2500 lb travel trailer. Along with wife and two dogs the van did quite well albeit with a bit of trial and error. The best way to tow is to use the manual mode of the transmission. I never went above the number 5 on the indicator. This kept the transmission from hunting for the highest gear. Especially on upgrades. Going down hill I used full automatic mode. Never used eco mode. MPG was around 15-16 which I found acceptable.

I don't know for sure if I got the software upgrade. I bought it as a certified used car from a Chrysler dealer. I asked if this update had been performed. They said yes but there is no documentation to indicate.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Default Harsh Transmission

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
jtull55,

Make sure your vehicle has the most updated Trans software. Since its a used vehicle, the prior owner may not have had the TSB listed below performed:

TSB: 21-012-12 REV. B

SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Shift Quality Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2011 - 2013 RT Caravan/Town & Country

NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles built with 3.6L engine (sales code
ERB) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2) built before September 26, 2012

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may notice any of the following:
· Harsh 1-3 upshift while operating in Economy (ECO) mode.
· Harsh 2-3 upshift while operating in normal mode.
NOTE: For 2012 model year, the harsh 1-3 upshift in Economy Mode and the harsh
2-3 upshift in Normal Mode was corrected in the revised software enhancements that were released in Service Bulletin 21-008-12 dated March 23, 2012.
· 1-2 upshift clunk following a throttle back out (2012 - 2013 model year only).
In addition to correcting the previous Symptom/Conditions, the following enhancements have been made to improve the shift quality of the 62TE transmission:
· Shift schedule changes for the 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 upshifts and the 6-4P, 6-5, and 5-4 downshifts.
· Fifth gear torque converter lock-up/unlock improvements.
Sounds like what is required to fix my 2010 4.0 Town & County Touring with harsh shifts.
I ask 2 different dealers if any TSB's applied to my problem, was told
none apply.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:52 PM

You could always buy the tow hitch separately if it doesn't come with a towing package - they are easy to install and a place like Reese Hitches can give you some easy to follow instructions to do it yourself.