Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Town and Country door fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Default Town and Country door fire

We purchased a 2012 Town and Country approximately one month ago and on the way home today the door suddenly started to smoke. My wife called and asked what she should do and I asked if she could make it home and she thought so. By the time she reached the house smoke was pouring out of the door. I ran and got the fire extinguisher and tried to find a gap to shoot it into and when I touch the top of the door by the power window switch the melted plastic just fell right into the door. I googled it and the only fire recall I found related to the sliding door. She put it on youtube if you have any ideas.

Thanks Mike

Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM

1) It's probably under warranty. Take it to the dealer.
2) Even if it's not under warranty, it's probably covered under your insurance. Talk to your agent.
3) Next time, tell her to drive to the fire department.
4) Carry a fire extinguisher. Know how to use it.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
1) It's probably under warranty. Take it to the dealer.
2) --
3) Next time, tell her to drive to the fire department.

NEXT TIME ???????????????????????

Nigel & Pamala

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM

The sliding door recall was finished by the end of 09, the 2010 and later have a different design.

Short of Spilling that soda into the switch (Make it disappear by the way) there is nothing that you could have done to cause that.

Of course they will cover it.... So Take a deep breath, and be glad no one was hurt..... It can be fixed, but life and limb cant be replaced.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Thanks, No soda spilled. There was a very light drizzle when my wife was getting in the car but it should not have caused a fire in the door. I can't imaging Chrysler making a vehicle you can't get in if it is drizzling. Can you imagine all the drivers standing outside their vans while it rained waiting for it to stop. We are just hoping now they will pay for a rental. With 4 kids we can't do it with one car and this to me seems like a Chrysler issue.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM

I cant see why they wouldnt, but if that doesnt work out, check the DeclaRATIONS PAGE OF YOUR INSURANCE POLICY....(Sorry stuck caps lock ..key board on the fritz.)....

Ive seen the earlier Models spark from the sliders, but your video is a first for me. This isnt a common occurrence, so rest assured, when its fixed, you can put it all behind you.

As for the rain.......I doubt it. Ive seen cars that sat outside in the rain with the windows open (Either by mistake, or because the glass broke, or the window just wouldnt go up..) that didnt BURN..... They might smell a bit moldy in the morning, but they didnt BURN....

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.