Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Chrysler town and country LXI fire behind headlight switch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Default 2000 Chrysler town and country LXI fire behind headlight switch!

I have had my Town and County since 2000. $36 grand New! Crazy.
Anyway, It has had funny things happen to it over the last couple of years. The dash lights would flicker. The radio would change stations on the steering wheel when I tried to adjust the volume. The key remote would only unlock the front drivers door at times and not the rest of the doors. The door lock on the inside driver and passenger door would not work at times. I could swear that the headlights flickered, but I am not sure. My map lights keep burning out. One map light is actually burned on the plastic. The front dome lights won't turn on when I open the front doors. I have to slide the back door open to turn them on! When I shut the back door they turn off!
I was told that I would have to take it somewhere to get a diagnostic test done. Then it could take forever and a ton a $ to find out what the problem was. So, I dealt with it until last night. I went out to my van to look for something and the interior lights wouldn't come on, so I tried to open the sliding door to get them to turn on. No luck. After that, I put the key in the ignition and I saw a glow and smoke coming from behind the headlight switch. I quickly blew it out! Luckily I got the flame out. The smell was horrible.
The next day, I opened the drivers door to the sound of a really fast clicking behind the headlight switch. I freaked out and shut the door. I got a hold of a neighbor of mine who works on cars and he looked at it. When he opened the door, the clicking and the interior lights in the rear of the van were flickering! Also, the radio display and the overhead lcd display was flickering. He put the key in the ignition to see what it would do and it caught on fire again! Blew it out again and he disconnected the battery and said DON'T DRIVE THIS VAN! So, tomorrow he is going to research what might be going on. I don't know if it is the headlight switch. Or, (was) and I hope the fire didn't affect something else.

Has anybody ever experienced these problems? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks, C