Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Town and country stalls after fill up

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Default Town and country stalls after fill up

hey newbie here to the forum. i'm a diesel mechanic and am in wisconsin visiting my parents. just wandering if anyone else has encountered this problem. my dad fills up at the same gas station when his fuel gage reads around half a tank. when he pulls away the van hesitates and stalls, then has a hard start. this happens once then never happens again until the next fill up. i have a snapon modis and was able to check codes which it has no active codes or stored codes. i was also able to duplicate the problem just a minute ago after filling up and was was able to watch live data and i noticed the fuel pump relay shut off at the time of the failure. then came back on while cranking and the van ran fine the rest of the way home. this has been going on now for about 8 months. so climate seems to have no effect on the condition. the van has 42000 miles on it and has had regular maintenance done for its whole life. any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 PM

I have a 2003 T & C that does the exact same thing and has for a very long time. May or may not be related but I have noticed big fluctuations for distance to empty read out on overhead console. Very frustrating, Did you ever get any feedback for this problem?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Someone will have to fill in the details here but there is a valve in the fuel tank that is supposed to prevent fuel from entering the EVAP charcoal canister. When this valve fails you will get stalling after fill ups. Unfortunately the only fix is to replace the fuel tank. The valve is built into it.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Replace the entire fuel tank or the fuel pump/sending unit module? Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM

This explains the whole shabang. The valve is called the Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) valve. It is built into the tank and not replaceable separate from the tank. It's not the fuel pump assembly. I would check with a mechanic to see if there is anything else that may effect this. I am only passing on what I've read. I will say though anytime this problem pops up on a forum this is the fix when a fix is posted.

2005 Dodge Caravan stalls after refueling...started slightly - JustAnswer

Last edited by Raptor 07; 12-30-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM

First thing to do is ask your dad if he stops after the first click when he fils up or does he keep clicking it to top it off. I run into this all the time especially with "old-school" drivers...like my own dad...lol. Raw fuel will get caught up in the vapor line and get sucked into the intake VIA the purge solenoid.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Thanks all for the replys! Did check with Dad who says he doesn't continue filling after the pump shuts off. Kinda fantical about my vehicles and really want to fix. However I'm not liking the sound of having to replace the tank :-( Is there an easy way to check the Purge Solenoid before I "dive into the tank"?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Default Dies after fill up

My wifes Ford stalled at odd times, until I stopped buying cheap gas, and started using Shell. I also get better gas mileage with Shell. Could be an issue a can of Sea Foam might help clear up.