Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission in limp mode after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Default transmission in limp mode after rebuild

I recently had the transmission rebuilt in my 1997 Chrysler Town & County 3.3L. I drove the van and discovered that it shifted all gears but jumped a little in first and overdrive. I have a modis scan tool and attempted to perform a quick learn but got a "No Communication" when testing the CCD Bus. After this, the van has now gone into limp mode. I have checked all the fuses and wires but don't see a problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Well , first off, What do you consider recently???

Next, can Modis communicate with other modules in the system.? Do you have the wiring Diagram for TCM? (If not, Please dont go poking at wires until you know what they are supposed to do, or risk making matters severely worse).

Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you for your reply,

The transmission was rebuilt just last week after the transmission cooler in the radiator burst and filled the transmission with fluid and antifreeze from the radiator. A complete rebuild was performed by a reputable transmission shop. To save money, I removed and re-installed the transmission and new rediator myself. I drove the van and it shifted completely through all the gears but jumped a little going into first and overdrive. The tech, knowing I had access to a Modis tool, (But not proficient at it, I might add) advised me to do an quick learn procedure. I never was able to complete the quick learn due to a No CCD communication. The tech then told me that a quick learn procedure wasn't imperative and the van would eventually learn itself as it is driven. At this point, when I go to drive the van it is in limp mode. Sidenote: The instrument cluster isn't working but that is not a new problem. It has been that way for over a year. I dont know if it is still somehow related. I am not sure how to check if it is communicating with other modules in the system and I do not have a wiring diagram for the TCM.

Thanks for your ideas.