Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

transmission shudder and scanner comm. problem

Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Default transmission shudder and scanner comm. problem

Occasionally starting out from a stop sign, tranny shudders, almost like going neutral drive neutral drive. Crank sensor RPM spikes to 65K RPM just before this happens, but doesn't always cause this.

Watching a rolling line graph on scan tool, 4 separate items, engine RPM, trans output, throttle position , etc.. Occasionally there is a break in the line..ie..communication is lost, then comes right back.

Customer had it to the dealership, they rebuilt the tranny, didn't work, then tune-up, didn't work, then changed tranny filter, still nothing, now its here.
I changed crank position sensor 3X, throttle position sensor, and same problem.

Only does this at random, sometimes once in an hour, sometimes not at all. But RPM spike is present much more often than the shuddering itself.

Suggestions please?

2003 T&C 3.8L

Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM

come on, certainly someone has a suggestion? I have seen this same problem posted about on other sites, but there is never an answer.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM

anyone?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

your a tech look at it figure it out U got the tools U got the knowledge U dont need us on here this is for common folk with no skill set like the people that make money doing this sorta stuff everyday.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM

unbelievable! yes, I am a mechanic, I have owned my own shop for 15 years. I have been trouble shooting this vehicle for weeks. I am a very good diagnostician, and I just cant seem to figure out what the deal is. I thought by posting here, someone who had already experienced this SAME problem could possibly suggest something I have not tried, or tell what they did to solve the problem, but instead, you, the moderator, pretty much have told me where to go stick it.

If that is the kind of reception this forum gives, I will be canceling my membership, and will not recommend this forum to anyone else.
What a jerk. I am disgusted.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

if U cant figure it out then U need to send it to some one that can U of all people know that unless U can give some hard data to the table how is some one online suppose to tell u whats making a shudder? what are the CVI'S? what are the pressures when it shifts?
why has the cust not gone back to teh dealer to have this issues resolved if a new trans was put in because they told them that is what it needed to correct the issue then I would be taking it back to them and let them have it for spending all that money and not getting any results make them own up to there own job just the same as would make u own up to the fact U dont know what it is and cant fig it out.
What would your cust say if U told them oo I did not know what was going on some guy on a web site told me what it was so then I charged U for all the stuff I did to fix it?? that does not fly.

that is what I would call unbelievable