Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Default Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 Won't start

Hi Guys,. To begin with it took 2-3 attempts to start but now won't start at all! Now, here the fun starts......initially the battery would go flat with the continual starting problems and had to call the RAC out who in turn said I had the wrong battery for this type of car stating I need a Gel battery, cost me £184.00! definitely better battery lasting much much longer when turning the engine over but the car would not start, if I bump started the car or use easy start spray it would fire up no problem. once started, the car would run fine, even stopping for an hour or two it would fire up no problem.
I took it to my local garage thinking it was glow plugs playing up, changed them but still wouldn't start. he then checked fuel pressures finding two injectors were leaking, changed all the injectors, check the fuel pressures between high and low pressure pumps, rail etc all ok changed the fuel filter. Still wouldn't start!
then did other diagnostics and found the coolant sensor was reading very high temperatures.. changed that..wouldn't start
changed crank case sensor....wouldn't start
changed the exhaust gas sensor....wouldn't start
checked MAF and cleaned it...wouldn't start
Changed air filter ...wouldn't start
Oil and Oil filter changed. ..wouldn't start
checked for an earthing fault non found
He's now given up (don't blame him) once started she run wells so any advice? Incidentally another garage has another voyager in with similar problem and they're struggling to solve the issue.
reluctant to scrap this as it's cost me £3405 so far!!! HELP*

Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Check the fuel filter housing! The black plastic body can split and allow air to get in! Worth a look

Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Bloody hell you could get another possibly better car for that cost. I take it you came on here at the last resort. TimmyTim has given you the usual answer that comes up repeatedly. Is there any codes on key dance for-by Coolant sensor.
But if easy start starts it and it runs ok its a fuel issue as in filter housing.
Fuel pressure rail sensor and bypass valve would be another. I'd go filter housing.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Check the LP side of the fuel. Front centre of the engine just between the RAD and the ENGINE will be a diesel primer pump that looks a bit like this :

That primer pump **** should be impossuibly hard to press before starting the engine, try it !, is it already hard ? If its not rock hard give it a half dozen press[es] then start the engine - does it now start first time ? If it does now start first time you have a problem with :

- fuel filter loose
- fuel filter water trap
- leak-back,etc

Let the group know how your low pressure diesel supply side performs.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 AM

Thanks guys for the advice, won't be able to check the fuel filter housing until the weekend as l'm away till then but will keep you posted.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Default same issue

Hey man,

I also have the same car and the same issue. I’ve read your post and I am curious if you have found a way to fix it. I’d appreciate if you did and can share how you did. Thank you.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:07 AM

If it's the fuel filter housing that's leaking then you'll see drips of fuel below it and/or around it.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:45 PM

Car's same as mine and has no bleeding priming bulb/pump as Q says, pity that. But notice that it does have a bleed valve, rear of Alternator, end of cam box. No idea what connects on this valve but read somewhere that's its a place for measuring the pressure of the priming pump.