Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager 2.5Crd Rear Fuel Lift Pump Won't Stop Running

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Default Voyager 2.5Crd Rear Fuel Lift Pump Won't Stop Running

Hi. Ok here is the problem. My beloved voyager 2.5crd has been off the road for over a year. I have tried everything I can find online. All started with the engine kept cutting out. The only clue is that when the key is turned one notch, the diesel ift pump keep wirling away - and doesn't stop. I have tried - new lift pump, tank removed and cleaned, clear pipes to see no air getting in, swapped the relays. From what I remember when it was ok, after turning the key it stopped priming after 10 or 20 seconds, could someone clarify this? Question is what sets the duration of the lift pump? There doesn't seem to be any pressure sensor in the pump, how does the ecu know when to stop the pump? I really need help. Any possible ideas or other things to try would really help. My only other thought was, does the prop valve have any part in the system? It still runs, but then cuts out, the ecu must be sensing the problem?

Old 02-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Engine continually cutting out would as you have determined be fuel related. So your first port of call would be the fuel filter and pump delivering fuel with no air in it to engine. If that has been sorted and fault still persists engine fuel system would be next stop. Fuel rail pressure must be a set amount depending on predetermined pressures. So if your injectors are leaking too much, pressure will not be attained and engine will shut down. Same as for bypass valve not holding that pressure. So leakoff test to do at injectors and bypass. Look for an injector passing more than others.
I read of a Fiat engine that was cutting out and after oodles/pages/test equipment had trouble finding fault, the result was of one injector leaking off only slightly more than the others, but probably as I would say, leaking off loads more on powering.
But saying all this there are other answers found in fault codes, sometimes not. Like cam and crank sensors, crank often doesn't leave a code throughout different car brands. But got to start somewhere.

Last edited by goggs; 02-14-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Had to stoke the fire..