Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Weird sliding door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Default Weird sliding door lock problem

I have a 2004 Town & Country Limited with the power sliding doors and I have a lock problem.

NO, not that one!

No, rather our locks work just fine with the key fob or the switch. The actuators seem fine. However, especially in warm weather, the lock ***** get stuck in the locked position and we can only pull them up with enormous effort. This means that when my family is riding in the back seats, I have to remember to unlock the doors from up front before they can get out, or use the fob buttons if I'm already out of the van.

Oh, yeah: the inside power open buttons won't work until the doors are unlocked.

Anybody had this problem before? And what's the solution?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Are the child locks completely in the OFF position?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:15 PM

I have flipped the child lock switches on and off several times. They seem to snap into position well, plus, it never makes a difference anyway.

The problem IS intermittent, like a faulty switch, and can be one door, both doors, or neither. Sometimes the problem lasts for a day, sometimes for weeks.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Not sure what Captain Chrysler, aka QinteQ, was referring to with the "..................................." other than a very subtle hint at the 'chain' that holds the power cables for the door. Sooner or later you can expect a break in one or more of these cables which causes an intermittent fault in the motor etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:11 PM

I was sidetracked by the grandkids, world war 3 broke out - solved by diplomacy & a megga bucket bribe of 'conkey-chicken'.

3 things you can do - in order, + cable off for 15 minutes - reset the logic in the BCM, check for cable break [you tube thousands of posts] in the plaggie chain track, reset the confused customer preferences & country code. If those easy and quick ones don't work then it gets complicated. Cheers AlC.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:58 PM

i had a similar problem that drove me nuts for 2 years... first, i changed the actuator to no avail... lived with it another year or so and then finally figured why not check out that chain thing.... there it was ! inside the chain one wire was parially broken inside the insulator where u couldnt see it... only feel that it was broken... spliced in new wire and whoop... back to good again... seems that all those wires have to work together for the door to completely operate properly... and there are 7 i think... check each one....good luck