97 Cirrus - no fuel - no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Default 97 Cirrus - no fuel - no spark

97 cirrus lx 2.5 started stalling about 4 yrs ago. Had it in to two different shops, and both times no codes came up. It would die hot or cold, 75mph or idling and would start up on first try - no problem. Until about 6 mos ago it wouldn't start when wet outside. So we change cap,rotor, wires, and plugs and seemed fine until a month ago it died. Hasn't started since. It didn't rain after tune up so I don't know if that helped the moisture problem.

So far I've figured
-that the fuel pump works, isn't getting power.
-fuses look good, tested relays and seemed good
-org/w wire running to cam and crank sensors has no power(.2v)

Does anyone know why the 8v supply would not be working?

Any help would be much appreciated
Jeremy

Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Default RE: 97 Cirrus - no fuel - no spark

I had intermittent die & restart on the freeway & slow speeds or idling. it would die & re-start usaully immedaitly.
then mins starterted to get worse if an whn it would die it would take 5 to 10 minutes to re-start . Very intermittent and when it ran it was flawless.

Finally i swapped the crank position sensor with another car and it never missed a beat,
THe other car only had one fialure it stalled and took 30 seconds to re-start and i replaced the crank sensor in it and both cars are still doing fine.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the response johno~

Heard from others that it could be the crankshaft sensor. Trying not to spend money untilalmost positive what it is. I have the sensor out and was wondering if you got a new spacer when you swapped sensors or if you know how far out from the flex plate it sits.I wanted to put it back into test again and would have to order thethe spacer.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 AM

I did not get or use a spacer; all it does is pick up a magnetic pulse from the flywheel going by.

I paid attention as to how far in it was installed and put it back the same distance. Maybe use a marking pen or measure how much is sticking out before removal (too late, I learned the hard way many times myself)

There seems to be some in and out movement but apparently it worked just fine on both units and that was aprox 2 years ago now.

About the only thing I notice is that one car with 170k seems to start harder (maybe 1.5 or 2seconds longer) but only when cold.

If you find out more about this spacer (and if can affect cold starts) please let me know.

At my work we have engines with crank sensors and customers replace them without instructions and I don't hear any issues. It's on older Ford & G/M engines