General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Unhappy 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Hello, I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 Ltr. V6 Flex
About a month ago I had a shifting problem, the van would hesitate to shift from 1st to higher gears and when it would shift down it was a hard shift down into 1st. I also had codes of P605 and P700. I was advised by the local parts store that I would need a new computer for my car. I of course shopped around and purchased the part, the company online that I purchased it from told me there would be a 2 day period where they sync the computer with my cars VIN. 2 weeks later i received the part. I installed the part and everything seemed to be working fine, so I sent my core back to them as per our agreement. After about a week the check engine light came back on and the same codes appeared. I called the company I bought the part from and was told that from their end the problem is that inorder for the car to sync it needs at least 70 cranks. I was like ok...computers talking I get it... a month has now passed, my car now goes bonkers, the speedometer begins flinging around the dash the gas gauge doesnt work, when the speedometer goes haywire it sometimes gets stuck at 120 and doesnt reset, so I have to do the hard reset at the dash where you hold down the trip dohicky thing. On top of that the gear changing has gone from intermitten not shifting to down right having to be reset up to 15 times to get the car to shift out of 1st gear. Today when we reset the computer via the trip dohicky thing, it gave us errors...we got 100.1, 100.3, 100.4, 100.5 and 100.6. I am assuming the new computer i put on the car is malfunctioning, and I need it replaced...but do I need to replace the tcm as well? I have one of those scanners like they have at Autozone, just to add because I have seen where it needs to go on one of those...if that is the case will it give me different codes? I am a single mother, with a car that is paid for but needs repairs I can manage. If these are items I can do myself I would like to save the money it would cost to go in a repair shop. I am not afraid of getting dirty, I just changed my oil and spark plugs for the first time, and taking off the windshield wipers to get to those plugs in the back was scary. Thank you in advance for any help. I do hope I explained well, please ask questions if I have not been clear...I will do my best to give you answers.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM

if trans fluid level is ok, I would bite the bullet and pay to have a scan done, see if it is a trans module problem or a trans problem,could be a wiring problem... have you checked the trans fluid level when it's running on a level surface?? not to forget,you add any trans fluid but (ATF + 4) you will smoke the tranny