General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 plymouth breeze rough idle and stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Default 96 plymouth breeze rough idle and stall

so m problems began on a Friday afternoon. when the car began to shake while I was a stop light, when i tried pressing down on the throttle the car wouldn't accelerate at all. I pressed down harder and nothing,the speedometer was running between 0 and 5 mph and eventually stalled. I had to park it and restart it. figured a good tune up(replacing air and fuel filters and spark plugs etc) the fuel filter was dirty as all hell so we clean out the tank and replaced fuel filter. car ran smoother this time(although the hesitation of acceleration was slightly there barely noticeable) during the test drive after 10 minutes of solid driving, the problem came back again. although ths time the shaking wasn't all that violent like before but it still stalled on me (parked and restarted it).

took it to autozone to do a code test. P0134,P0171,P1768. O2 sensor bank 1 stays at center,SYStem runs lean and relay output remains off? the mechanics said that can actually be the cause of the problem but im not entirely sure, wanted some second opinions on this before shelling out more money. any suggestions?

Also the check engine light has been on forever way before these problems, maybe the O2 sensor is begining to die out? the catalyctic converter doesnt seem to have any problems- no egg/sulfur smell coming from the car.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Rough idle, running lean: sounds like a vacuum leak. Check every vacuum hose and connection. It's a 13 year old car, those rubber components are aged, hard and likely to be cracked.
A lean-running engine is capable of burning through a piston-top. You should consider a compression test.
Ignoring a check-engine light "forever" has costs. If there's a bad O2 sensor, the computer compensates but this can lead to a ruined catalytic converter if left unrepaired too long.
The P1768 is a transmission code. Better get that checked too. You might want to consider the "cash for clunkers" option.