Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.5l sag/rough idle/hesitation/stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Default 2.5l sag/rough idle/hesitation/stall

Ok the fuel saga is done. Man what a pain in the a$$. The fuel lines arent exactly up against the firewall, but Ill have that fix with the first stealer visit.

Anyway fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines replacement no change. I also grabbed the exhaust from the wreck and put that on the keeper. The wrecked one is almost new, the one on the keeper ... total rust. All of this work - No change.

Still no codes. Runs for a while, then stalls, rough idle, sag, hesitate.

I did notice while I was under the car that the serpentine belt skipped a tooth both on the harmonic balance and a/c pulleys. Also the belt on the inside between the pulley and block is worn away pretty good. Fum old times, I know that this means either 1. bent pulleys ... usually easy to spot .. a wobble. None here or 2. the pulley are out of alignment which is usually corrected by replacement of a bent bracket or realignment of the pulleys using shims. I will need to takeit to someone for this. This is a job I dont have patience for. The tensioner is also a possibility - same kind of belt wear on my 99 Grand Voyager 3.3 and never hit. That is until April of this year. Needed a tensioner on that every 60k or so ... damn ... wish I had that van back .... 204k and running like a top before it got hit.

I was thumbing through the Chiltons manual while I let her run. Another thing that I noticed is that 9 out of 10 times when the fan kicked on, the engine started to shutter, complain spit, sputter etc etc .

Im taking her down to the local mechanic on Tuesday.
Ill let you guys know what happens.

Regards
Chris

Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: 2.5l sag/rough idle/hesitation/stall

I called the mechanic to check in ....

Interesting, the mechanic told me that two of the three front wire connections were pushed up into the rubber boot and nt fully connecting to the plug.

He continues to check ...

Old 08-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Default RE: 2.5l sag/rough idle/hesitation/stall

situation improved with the wire corrections ... but

it was the distributor/coil. I will post a pic of exactly what it was. But for now, there was actual part of the coils that snapped in two which caused arcing from the distributor. The issue had the mechanic scratching his head so he fired her up, threw it on a lift and watched. He said it took about 3 seconds to see what was going on at that point.

I do have the working distributor from the wreck. I told him not to buy any parts until he spoke with me. I told him that I would bring him the wrecks. He asked if I intended to keep the car, I said yes. He noted that it wouldnt be a good idea to screw around with the distrubutor ... "starter, altenator, p/s pump yeah, but I would go with a new distributor" ... once I thought about it, it made sense.

So, I took it in the booty. $701.67 for the distibutor and installation, diags, repair of a messed up exhaust manny stud, and serpentine replacement. He mentioned that the pulleys are fine. I still dont think so .. I will keep an eye on this one ...

Least I can drive her now ... park that damn Mega cab and save few $$ when not able to ride the Harley.

Will keep ya posted on udder stuff ... and the used distributor from the wreck will go up for sale.