General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 chrysler cirrus v6 intermittant problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Default 99 chrysler cirrus v6 intermittant problems

We have a 99 cirrus that we bought for our son. The car had been sitting for a while at the sellers home, we took it out of a long test drive bought it then a 30 min trip home in the car with no problems. Couple of days later when our son started driving it it started to develope two problems. First of which when he would slow down the check engine light and oil light would come on. We replaced the oil pressure sending unit and it stopped that problem. Now it does what he calls stuttering (like it's going to die but doesn't) in which case all the needles on the gauges would just drop and then come right back up or it would just die and start right back up. Another strange thing it does is while driving it will loose power all of a sudden, the gauges will freeze for a second then start dropping then when he puts it in neutral everything seems to come alive and will work fine (at first he thought the motor was dieing but found out the motor was actually still running when he put it in neutral the first time and tried to start it while the car was still rolling). Had it to the mechanic 3 times. First time he cleaned the idle air control valve although my husband said it looked like he didn't get the entire assembly cleaned, replaced the distributor and did a tune up and still same problem. The third time they had it for 3 days and did get it to act up, ran some voltage tests but nothing found and the car doesn't throw any codes. He suspects the ECM but is reluctant to replace it until it goes out all together because we've already spent almost $600 in parts and labor. It fires right up everytime you start it, it will just act like it wants to die sometimes and then we have the weird freezing gauge problem when it's running. The EGR valve was replaced also. I've read all kinds of forums about stall/starting problems with this car but most of them have problems with them restarting after they die, not so with this car. I've read it could be cam or map sensor, ECM possibly even a problem with under powered altenator/battery. Anyone out there that can PLEASE help I would appreciate it so much! Thanks for reading