General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AutoTransmission: fluid circulation & lubrication ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Default AutoTransmission: fluid circulation & lubrication ??

Hello

I'm trying to understand how the automatic transmission works. Here are some things I still don't get... :

The pump (inside the torque converter) is directly attached to the torque converter housing which in turn is directly attached to the engine's flywheel. When the pump rotates, the transmission fluid circulates inside the automatic gearbox and lubricates the gears - correct? If the engine is off, the pump will not rotate and there will be no lubrication... Hmmm.
So... Does the pump draw transmission fluid from inside the gearbox and then turbine puts it back in the gearbox or how is the fluid circulation achieved??

If you are coasting in Neutral gear with the engine off, the gears will rotate. But if the gears rotate, then does that also make the turbine rotate? And if the turbine does in fact rotate, then why isn't that enough to create fluid circulation and lubrication?

Best regards,
Jake

Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

power flow is this way the converter is attached to the flywheel on the engine that is what provided the turning power to turn the front pump which in turn provides the pressure and lube to all moving parts.
The converter is always moving when the engine is running no matter what gear u have it in.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 AM

...My confusion remains the same

So, if the pump draws the transmission fluid from the gearbox. What makes the fluid go back into the gearbox?

If I would forcefully push my car with its engine off (sift lever in neutral or in gear). Would the turbine inside the torque converter spin? (Is the turbine directly attached to the axle which goes to the auto gearbox?)

In practice I understand that I can not tow my car with its engine off and the drive wheels on ground, because there would be no lubrication for the gears. I'm just trying to figure out why there's no lubrication... Would the turbine spin and why couldn't just the spinning turbine provide the lube...? Maybe it's all about how the blades are shaped (both pump and turbine blades) and the fluid can only flow in one direction...(?)

Thanks

Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

go buy a tranny for dummies book they can brake it down so U can understand.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM

The pump supplies the lube and the pressure for the rest of the system to operate. The turbine provides the drive to turn the output of the torque converter. Those are different functions. The torque converter doesn't provide pressure for lubrication and trying to spin it from the wrong end by pushing the car with the engine off will not make it do that. Without pressure from the pump there's no control to engage the clutches and gears.