General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cant start

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Default Cant start

I have a '96 Cirrus. Right now I live in a small town for college, where I work just across the street and everything is in walking distance. As such, I havent had a reason to drive my car for several months.

Today I started working on it to get it running (it had a few flats, small problems like that). Before I jumped it, electrics worked such as the locks, dash lights, etc. When I tried to start it though it made no noise at all. I jumped it as that has fixed this issue previously. Left the car running while I hopped over to Walmart for some supplies, leaving it running for approx 20 minutes idle. When I came back I drove it around the parking lot a bit to see if there were any problems, and then around the block. No abnormal behaviour at all.

I parked and turned the car off. Waited a few moments and tried to start it. I only got chattering/clicking noises, the engine didnt even turn over. Electrics still work fine.

Any ideas? Also if solutions would cost money, a ballpark figure on what that would run me would be greatly appreciated. I am in college and do not have too much money to throw at the car right now, so a cheap short term fix would be best. I can always save up money to fix it better later.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM

There's a strong possibility your battery is dead or very close to dead. The jump start and 20 minutes of idling wasn't enough to charge it. Another possibility is that there is some corrosion of the battery cables, but the most likely solution to your problem is a new battery. If you can get another jump start, drive it over to Sears or Walmart or Advance Auto Parts or some such place and get a new battery. It'll probably cost you about $60 or so. Look for a sale.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
There's a strong possibility your battery is dead or very close to dead. The jump start and 20 minutes of idling wasn't enough to charge it. Another possibility is that there is some corrosion of the battery cables, but the most likely solution to your problem is a new battery. If you can get another jump start, drive it over to Sears or Walmart or Advance Auto Parts or some such place and get a new battery. It'll probably cost you about $60 or so. Look for a sale.
That is what I was thinking. Fortunately, I live across the street from Tire Lube and Express at Walmart. If nothing else, i could push it over.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 AM

Take it to an auto parts store and have them check the alternator. Usually when the car dies while you are driving it, it is because the alternator is not recharging the battery. Once the battery is drained the car will die and not be able to restart. The clicking noise you are hearing is the starter relay attempting to connect the battery to the starter. Since your battery is dead, the relay can't stay closed to supply the power to the starter, so it opens, causing the clicking sound. If it turns out that the alternator is bad, you will need to have it replaced, then recharge the battery. Good luck.