General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical problem with 92 LeBaron

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Default Electrical problem with 92 LeBaron

Quick history on the car: It's my grandmothers which she bought new so it's been pampered, garaged, and just ticked over 48k miles. It's a 1992 LeBaron sedan with the 3.0L engine, not a whole lot of extra options but car still looks like new inside and out. Alternator went out (says the garage she took it to) over the summer and they replaced it. 2 months ago battery went dead, was going on 7 years old so we replaced it. She called me the other day and said the car wouldn't start, went over and checked....7.5V on the battery. Threw my charger on it for a couple hours, started it and drove it home. I'd never driven the car before and right away I noticed missing, hesitation, etc. Started checking some things out and I think this thing still had the original air filter in it, plugs, wires, etc. So tune-up came first - I gave it new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, air filter, upper and lower crankcase filter, and cleaned out the IAC. Car runs much smoother now.

Next day I went to drive it over and it barely started..hmmmm. I pulled the neg battery cable and checked current drain. With everything off, doors closed, key out, etc it was pulling about 150mA which seems waaay high to me. I started pulling fuses and the dome light fuse was where ti was coming from. Haynes manual wiring diagram is useless as well as the Chilton, local dealer didn't have a manual since it was so old, not paying $110 for the factory manual. Next I started into the wiring behind the dash trying to figure out where this drain was coming from...long story short, the "tach board" on the instrument cluster seems to be the culprit. It has one wire supplying 12V to it at all times unless you pull the dome light fuse (makes sense, lol), the tach works fine but somehow is constantly pulling about 120mA even with the car off. Problem is I don't know if the board is the problem, the gauge is the problem, or whatever is supplying the 12V is the problem and the tach is just completeing the circuit. Does anyone have any insight into this or possibly a wiring diagram so I don't have to start taking shots in the dark and replacing stuff I might not need?

Thanks in advance!
R