General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

factory Aspen remotestart not working right

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Unhappy factory Aspen remotestart not working right

For some reason on my 08 Aspen, about 70% of the time i use my remote start it runs for about 30 seconds then it shuts off and the panic alarm turns on i dont know what happening i bought the truck two months ago from the dealer with no warranty, used with 30k miles on it . the other 30% it works fine. it does it the most when im getting off work and im walking through a big parking lot and i hear the two beeps signalling its starting and i will even hear it crank up but then it shuts off and panic goes off, i thought i was hitting the panic button but ive made sure that wasnt it, and when it does this the only way to shut off the alarm is with the unlock button, its embarrising and i use the autostart everytime since i live in ariaona with leather seats and i put the a/c on full blast so i dont burn myself getting in , anybody else run into this? please any thing someone might know would be awesome!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 PM

I am no mechanic but check the batter in your remote system. at least it would be the cheapest check.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

2 things.....

LOOK VERY CAREFULLY at the hood switch. They have been known to cause UNEXPLAINABLE anomolies.

If I had to guess.....The key fob is going south....Heres why...The PANIC feature has No connection whatsoever to the security system....Panic button activates the PANIC ALARM, and ONLY panic button disables it.....If Te board in your key fob were to send out both signals at once....That would explain it....

Try it for a few days with your spare Key.....

If your trouble persists, The dealership scan tool will record the last key fob request in memory.....so if you can get it to act up...the answer will be on the screen of the tool for the world to see..

Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM

thanks for the answers the key fob sounds like the closest thing i think it could be, the only problem is the dealer only had one key and when i looked into how much another key for me was ( so i dont have to use my wifes and as a spare) and they quoted me over $200 bucks for a keywith fob no way! one thing i think i might try is taking the battery cover off the fob and start it then pull the battery out quickly to terminate the fob then if it still does it, its the truck. i was thinking maybe the vibrations from the truck at idle were interfearing with the alarm and it would probabily have a safety thing to shut the truck off when the alarm goes off incase someone trys to steal it. but i dont know i guess ill mess with it somemore and see thanks for your helps guys much appreciated! -Joel