General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

harsh shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Default harsh shift

hi all,

i recently purchased a 2000 Chrysler sebring 2.5 v6 jxi about 4 months ago.
it has approx 74,000 miles

i have not had any transmission issues until the other day i jumped in my car and it just started shifting really hard. it shifted hard into second then third. then went into limp mode and throw the check engine light on.

i checked power-train codes and and it was an
P0700 transmission control module.
i figured this was the transmissions way of putting the mil on.
i pulled transmission codes and this is what i have.
-P0731 first gear incorrect ratio
-P0733 third gear incorrect ratio
-P1790 fault immediately after shift.
-P1792 battery power disconnection (my wife left my lights on about a week ago and i jump started the car and it has been fine since).
-ignition count 5

-the speedo still works so I'm guessing my output solenoid works
-i cant see it being the tcm because all my PRND3L all light up and it actually goes into drive.
-my valves block sounds like my valves are chattering, is that normal on these?

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by proudowner
hi all,

i recently purchased a 2000 Chrysler sebring 2.5 v6 jxi about 4 months ago.
it has approx 74,000 miles

i have not had any transmission issues until the other day i jumped in my car and it just started shifting really hard. it shifted hard into second then third. then went into limp mode and throw the check engine light on.

i checked power-train codes and and it was an
P0700 transmission control module.
i figured this was the transmissions way of putting the mil on.
i pulled transmission codes and this is what i have.
-P1792 battery power disconnection (my wife left my lights on about a week ago and i jump started the car and it has been fine since).
-ignition count 5

-the speedo still works so I'm guessing my output solenoid works
-i cant see it being the tcm because all my PRND3L all light up and it actually goes into drive.
-my valves block sounds like my valves are chattering, is that normal on these?

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
there is no output soleniod
the TCM can go bad and have no effect on prndl display
chattering is normal, as the solenoids cycle they 'chatter'

the gear ratio error stuff is where you need to start. first check fluid level color and condition, next a fluid/filter change may be in order.

however, based on your description, it would be best to have someone of transmission quality analyze the data the transmission is putting out.

or if you have the urge to dive further into fixing it yourself. you'll need a quality scanner with data. also get the diagnostic flow charts and start pinpoint testing the codes you have. although i always delete all codes, re-run the car and see what comes back

Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM

mong edit

Attached Thumbnails harsh shift-forum-save.jpg  

Last edited by proudowner; 10-17-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 22chrysler
there is no output soleniod
the TCM can go bad and have no effect on prndl display
chattering is normal, as the solenoids cycle they 'chatter'

the gear ratio error stuff is where you need to start. first check fluid level color and condition, next a fluid/filter change may be in order.

however, based on your description, it would be best to have someone of transmission quality analyze the data the transmission is putting out.

or if you have the urge to dive further into fixing it yourself. you'll need a quality scanner with data. also get the diagnostic flow charts and start pinpoint testing the codes you have. although i always delete all codes, re-run the car and see what comes back
Sorry i meant output sensor when talking about my speedo still working.
from the manual i have i have a solenoid pack on the side of the transmission,transmission range change sensor also. i have an input and output sensor, output sensor works the speedo not like other vehicles were there use the abs speed sensor.

My transmission is 41TE

i have already cleared codes/ disconnected battery and test drove. the vehicle went straight back into limp in mode and all codes still there. i can barley get the car into 3rd before it goes to limp in mode.

http://www.stratusphere.net/forums/l....php/t180.html view picture from manual.

My fluid level is good and clean not brown and does not smell burnt
so i don't think my clutch packs are burnt out.

from what i was reading if the TCM goes bad it wont even put the car in drive or i would have codes from the transmission relating to the TCM.

so im wondering if anyone has seen these codes bunched together and had a fix for them?

-P1792 battery power disconnection

im leaning towards the input sensor, one because if my output senors wasn't working then my speedo wouldn't work.
that could explain my incorrect gear ratios because my input and output sensors not reading the same?
either it is a sensor or there is an actual problem with the variation of incorrect ratio.

P1790 worries me because i do not know what causes this?

i will plug in my scanner on Monday and drive it to see what my input and output sensors are saying.

thanks again any help is appreciated.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Sorry i meant output sensor when talking about my speedo still working.
from the manual i have i have a solenoid pack on the side of the transmission,transmission range change sensor also. i have an input and output sensor, output sensor works the speedo not like other vehicles were there use the abs speed sensor.

Full size dodge trucks are an example where ABS sensor does speedo also. Obviously you have 2 speed sensors, range sensor and soleniod pack ... you have a 41te which is the ONLY trans that came in the 2.5

My transmission is 41TE

i have already cleared codes/ disconnected battery and test drove. the vehicle went straight back into limp in mode and all codes still there. i can barley get the car into 3rd before it goes to limp in mode.

What do you mean "went straight back into limp in" does it do it right off the start or is it doing it only on the 2-3 shift? Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear codes.

http://www.stratusphere.net/forums/l....php/t180.html view picture from manual.

I don't need to veiw the manual... I rebuild 50-100 of these transmissions every year.

My fluid level is good and clean not brown and does not smell burnt
so i don't think my clutch packs are burnt out.

from what i was reading if the TCM goes bad it wont even put the car in drive or i would have codes from the transmission relating to the TCM.

Not true. I've had TCM's that caused no shift and had a TCM code. also you can completely remove the TCM and still be able to drive the car 2nd gear and reverse only

so im wondering if anyone has seen these codes bunched together and had a fix for them?

1792 you caused when you disconnected the battery
all the rest are connected and you really need a real scanner to identify the cause.. I mean a real scanner as one with data display not just codes

im leaning towards the input sensor, one because if my output senors wasn't working then my speedo wouldn't work.
that could explain my incorrect gear ratios because my input and output sensors not reading the same?
either it is a sensor or there is an actual problem with the variation of incorrect ratio.

You can just guess and throw parts at it like an input speed sensor and hope for the best, but I need you to answer the first question about when does limp in actually occur

P1790 worries me because i do not know what causes this?

it is directly connected to the 2-3 shift problem (gear ratio error in 3rd)

i will plug in my scanner on Monday and drive it to see what my input and output sensors are saying.

thanks again any help is appreciated.[/quote]

Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 PM

1) What do you mean "went straight back into limp in" does it do it right off the start or is it doing it only on the 2-3 shift? Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear codes.

1) i used a really expensive inova scanner, i cleared codes with the scanner and disconnected the battery for good measure. check engine light went out and i even rechecked codes after clearing them and it said no codes are stored.
i started it back up and it when i selected drive it still shifted really harsh into drive. then i drove it gently for no more than 1/2 a mile the transmission would not just hit 3rd gear and then shift down into limp in mode.

2) I don't need to view the manual... I rebuild 50-100 of these transmissions every year.

2)Do you have any manuals that you can send me, the manual i have is one i downloaded and is very brief?

3)from what i was reading if the TCM goes bad it wont even put the car in drive or i would have codes from the transmission relating to the TCM.

3) Not true. I've had TCM's that caused no shift and had a TCM code. also you can completely remove the TCM and still be able to drive the car 2nd gear and reverse only

3)I do not have a TCM code, Can you send me a manual on pin point diagnosis so i check wiring for voltage / continuity of the wiring system?

4)-P0731 first gear incorrect ratio

4) 1792 you caused when you disconnected the battery
Nice easy one to figure out.....sort of self explanatory

5) all the rest are connected and you really need a real scanner to identify the cause.. I mean a real scanner as one with data display not just codes.
5)I'm using a 4000 dollar inova scanner, it does display live data but i didn't have time to check. So what should i be checking???
and what should readings should i see???

5)im leaning towards the input sensor, one because if my output senors wasn't working then my speedo wouldn't work.

5) You can just guess and throw parts at it like an input speed sensor and hope for the best, but I need you to answer the first question about when does limp in actually occur
(see question 1)

6)P1790 worries me because i do not know what causes this?

6) it is directly connected to the 2-3 shift problem (gear ratio error in 3rd)
6)ok so when i was reading other forums people had the same codes but p1790 was not displayed. i know the code is fault immediately after shift. but can you elaborate on this?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 AM

1) What do you mean "went straight back into limp in" does it do it right off the start or is it doing it only on the 2-3 shift? Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear codes.

1) i used a really expensive inova scanner, i cleared codes with the scanner and disconnected the battery for good measure. check engine light went out and i even rechecked codes after clearing them and it said no codes are stored.
i started it back up and it when i selected drive it still shifted really harsh into drive. then i drove it gently for no more than 1/2 a mile the transmission would not just hit 3rd gear and then shift down into limp in mode.

like i'm suppose to know that? great for you having a $4000 scanner, now you need to know how to use it.

2) I don't need to view the manual... I rebuild 50-100 of these transmissions every year.

2)Do you have any manuals that you can send me, the manual i have is one i downloaded and is very brief?

so you want me to send you one for free? ever heard of ebay? get an ATSG book or Factory Service manual

3)from what i was reading if the TCM goes bad it wont even put the car in drive or i would have codes from the transmission relating to the TCM.

3) Not true. I've had TCM's that caused no shift and had a TCM code. also you can completely remove the TCM and still be able to drive the car 2nd gear and reverse only

3)I do not have a TCM code, Can you send me a manual on pin point diagnosis so i check wiring for voltage / continuity of the wiring system?

just get a manual. I'm not going to send you a manual. there's 100's of sources to get one. heck even Shopkey and mitchel on demand have wiring diagrams for what you are requesting. go to your public library and most libraries have access to these two repair sources. otherwise go on ebay or other webs to buy a manual

4)-P0731 first gear incorrect ratio

4) 1792 you caused when you disconnected the battery
Nice easy one to figure out.....sort of self explanatory

5) all the rest are connected and you really need a real scanner to identify the cause.. I mean a real scanner as one with data display not just codes.
5)I'm using a 4000 dollar inova scanner, it does display live data but i didn't have time to check. So what should i be checking???
and what should readings should i see???

You have time to post all this stuff on the computer but cant take 5 min to read live date. you should be checking everything. you brought up speed sensors, wouldn't it just make sense to just check those 2... it would take longer to turn on your computer and get connected to the net than to just check those 2 sensor values.

5)im leaning towards the input sensor, one because if my output senors wasn't working then my speedo wouldn't work.

5) You can just guess and throw parts at it like an input speed sensor and hope for the best, but I need you to answer the first question about when does limp in actually occur
(see question 1)

6)P1790 worries me because i do not know what causes this?

6) it is directly connected to the 2-3 shift problem (gear ratio error in 3rd)
6)ok so when i was reading other forums people had the same codes but p1790 was not displayed. i know the code is fault immediately after shift. but can you elaborate on this?\

so what? people on forums tend to me more clueless and probably didn't record that code or sure maybe they didn't get it... so you have this code and it is related to your shifting problem. figure out the shifting problem and this code will go away along with the others.