General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help my key (fob) will not work

Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Default help my key (fob) will not work

I have a 2010 Town & Country, and the fob buttons work (lock, unlock, etc), but the key will not turn the ignition over. Does anyone know what I could do to try to fix this? I called the dealership and they said they could give me a new one for $250. I bought it used last year and I do not have a warranty on the key. My husband uses the spare, so it is very inconvenient to share his.
Thank you for your help!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM

The key must mechanically fit the lock and be the right miniprogram in the transponder.
If the key will not turn mechanically, it's prob. worn. Try " jiggling it a bit".

If the key turns mechanically but nothing happens, you will have a failed transponder. There is more evidence for this as you have another key that works. It communicates magnetically with an h.f. magnetic field, which also powers the key (hence no battery in the key itself). If you've had the dead key near a strong powered magnetic field, the key could have got blitzed.

The fact you have a working key is good. There are people around who will copy them -- for a fee. They know the manufacturers charge a lot, so the fee won't be pennies. Check Google and E-bay.

On some cars, you can program the key yourself; the car communicates with the key under a special method, and writes the correct program for you. Check into this because it's Chrysler's philosophy to help by putting ercos onto the green display by a special method, so they might have a procedure for writing a key.

Otherwise it's the dreaded dealer price.

Don't grumble too much however, you could have to fork out £500 for a BMW key.

Leedsman.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Before you try anything else, take the key off your key ring and try it in the ignition with no other keys in the vicinity. Some times people carry several keys plus a SpeedPass and other things on their key rings that can confuse the system. Doesn't cost anything to try that.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Before you try anything else, take the key off your key ring and try it in the ignition with no other keys in the vicinity. Some times people carry several keys plus a SpeedPass and other things on their key rings that can confuse the system. Doesn't cost anything to try that.
Wow, I never thought about that!