General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to drop spare tyre of Voyager

Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 AM
Question How to drop spare tyre of Voyager

I have bought a Voyager from 2007, and I can't figure out how to lower the spare wheel.

The wheel hangs behind the rear axle, and it normally is lowered by turning a bolt inside the loading space, located five inches from the rear lock, slightly off center to the left. There should be a hole in the floorboard to access that bolt. I had two similar vans before and that is how it works.

In my van the floor is uninterrupted where the hole for the bolt should be. And no, the wheel is not in its alternative location underneath the front seat with a bolt in front of the center console between the seats. I intensively searched the internet, but no solution. Much head scratching ensued.

I can take out the floor board and check, and eventually drill a hole in the board but that is rather a lot of work, because you have to first remove the inside panels. Also, should I assume that in the last ten years nobody had to change a tyre on this car?

Anybody heard of an alternative location for the said bolt?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 AM

If you can plainly see the spare mounted behind the rear axle, the nut inside the cargo area is in basically the same position as older models(carpeting and lower hatch sill may need slight movement to find). BUT they added a SAFETY latch on the underside of the cable lift mechanism that LOVES to rust up and not release properly to lower the spare. A long shank screwdriver and hammer will be needed to tap on the unit to physically move it to the release position and allow the tire to lower.
IF you have rear seating that folds into the floor(STOW and GO), the spare is mounted underneath BETWEEN the front seats(some use a plastic shield cover that the tire sits in. Operation is much the same to lower it. Only that there is a cover in the console trim between the front seats to remove to access the square drive lift mechanism lug. Tools for such are in the left rear storage compartment.

Last edited by REBEL59; 12-21-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Hi Rebel, you may well be right, but I have no way to check the safety latch either, because there is no access to the nut that lives (presumably) under the floor board. The car is just a van, without seats exept for the driver and codriver,
I added a picture.

Attached Thumbnails How to drop spare tyre of Voyager-chrysler_back.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Thanks for posting the picture , clears things up nicely. Looks to me like a previous owner did a rather nice flooring modification, and did not leave the normal BARE floor or carpeting access spot.
I assume your location is in the Netherlands(NL), as our US cargo versions come with bare metal flooring or carpeting. Good luck on some unwanted disassembly of that wood flooring.
EDIT: Only other suggestion is to go underneath and see if the spare is secured by a carrier BOLT from underneath(like on some other makes of vehicles) Owners guide book should also give you the info you are seeking.