General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Infrequent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Default Infrequent Starting Problems

I have a 2002 Chrysler T&C. I have had problems with it starting. We replaced the battery and that seemed to help, but then the problem continued. Recently, it wouldn't start but it did make a sound like it was almost turning over - trying to start - but then it didn't. After about an hour it was able to start. We had the starter replaced and thought that solved it. Just yesterday it did the same thing (sounded like it would start but didn't). We waited about an 30 minutes then it did. We are going to take it in again. Could it possibly be the accelerator? We are really stumped and just paid $450 for repairs in June for the starter.

Would appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Infrequent Starting Problems

I don't know a lot about Minvans or what size motors they have and you din't provide that anyway.

If you are not capable of doing this let the dealer do it for you, it's no fun getting Zapped.but it's not the end of the world either for the average person.

You might want to help the people working on it. find an extra know good sprk plug . remove an easy ot acess plug wire and plug it into the spare spark plug andhave some on ecrank the engine if it starts it's not the end of the world but you will only need to run it a few seonds enough to notice the spark signal.

Then when it won't start comapre the spark signal by doing the same thing.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Default RE: Infrequent Starting Problems

I'm not sure of what you mean when you describe your symptom.

If you mean that the motor cranks, but won't run, then you may have an EGR valve leakage, crankshaft / camshaft position sensor problem, etc. Those problems can occur without displaying codes at times.

If you mean that the motor won't crank, something in the starter control circuit, like the ignition switch or solenoid or wiring harness likely has a problem.

Have your codes read to see if you can get some direction.