General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LHS stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Default LHS stalling

HI folks.
This is my first post...I have had this 95 LHS for about 4 months...
The past week after a rain storm, the car will initally start for about 10 mins, then it stalls.......then it will not start again for another 10 or 15 mins for only a few minutes. the longest start is the first in the morning..... I dont know much aboiut cars and its verye xpensive to get it checked so I thought I would do my homework on the net first.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
R Mason

Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: LHS stalling

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm going to venture off and say there might be water in the engine?

-Matt-

Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Would it have anything to do with turning the key??? I noticed that today the wheel locked and the key would not turn. when I finally did get the key to turn it started but then stalled a few mins later???
I heard these LHS models were noted for both thier electrical and transmission problems.
I also thought about the fuel pump or fuel filter, both actually make sense to me.....but again I am no mechanic.
HELP PLEASE....
Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2006, 05:29 PM

sounds to me like its a fuel problem most likely the filter but it could be the pump as well, if your a brave soul you could try to cleck the fuel rails for pressure. before running the car pop the hood and locate the fuel rails, there should only be one it should be u-shaped and clip on top of the injectors, somewhere on this rail you should find a valve with a plastic cap very much like the valve used on car tires. once you have located this valve start the car and let it run until it stalls out, once it does remove the small plastic cap and useing a small screwdriver or similar tool press the needle valve in (WATCH OUT!!!!) if there is sufficent fuel pressure to run the car fuel should spray out of that valve!!! if the pressure seems very short lived or the pressure seems very low you have fuel dilevery problem. try compairing this to the amount of pressure observed when only key on but no start after sitting. turning the key on but not starting the car should cause the fuel pump to pressureize the lines in anticipation of startup and should give your the best possible pressure. if the pressure still seems low under these new conditions the problem is probably in the pump as the fuel filter should partially unclog after sitting for a while and letting the particles in it settle to the bottom.