General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Pacifica only tries 1/2 a start, sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Default Pacifica only tries 1/2 a start, sometimes

Any and all help would be very appreciated. I've read as many forums as I can find with no luck. Even the dealer is stumped.

I've got a 2004 Pacifica. Sometimes when you try to crank it, it will give one good solid 1/2 "crank" sound, but nothing else. It sounds like it gets 1/2 way through it's crank and gets jammed/suddenly stops trying. There's no additional sound, just a sudden silence that seems to come about 1/2 a second before you'd expect it to pause between cranks (and then nothing until you release and try again). Sometimes it takes 3-7 turns to get past the single crank and get it to actually start the car. Sometimes, it cranks right up on the first hit.

They've done a drain test on the electrical system, it's well within tolerances (just the little bit needed for things like the remote doors, etc).

- I replaced the battery. No change.
- They replaced the starter (twice). It got more frequent.
- They replaced some computer module known to flake out (Sorry, don't recall the name)
No change.
- They replaced the ignition switch. No change.

When it chooses to start, it acts as though nothing was ever wrong. There's no stalling when running.
It never acts like a loose wire (where sometimes you turn the key and get zero sound, other times it's fine). Every time it doesn't start it still gives one good solid 1/2 crank sound, but dead silence follows.

The dealer (same one) installed a remote start kit for us 9 months ago, but we've experience no problems starting until this month. I don't think it's related, but mention it just in case.

If anyone has ANY ideas, please please help. I'm afraid I may have a very expensive metal brick on my hands.

Zig

Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Pacifica only tries 1/2 a start, sometimes

torgue converter