General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car doesn't start...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Default car doesn't start...sometimes

hav a '99 chrysler town&country van with 3.3L engine. having problems lately with starting the van, especially in the morning. turn the key... nothing happens, turn again sometime it starts and sometimes have to turn the key once again before it starts.

replaced the battery.. still same symptoms

the starter does not make a skreach or any funny noises.....

had a similar problem before on my infiniti and it turned out to be a starter relay switch.. is this a similar situation?? if so, where can i find such a switch?? or is it a different problem??

Old 02-17-2006, 01:03 AM
ace
Default RE: car doesn't start...sometimes

do you have power when you turn the key and nothing happens ie lights on bright or do they dim when you turn the key or no difference if the lights stay bright with no dimming then you may have that problem with the starter relay(under the hood junction block i think) check the top cover to make sure also alot of those relays are the same look at the part number you can switch them if they are to verify it is the problem. If the light dims then you have a dif problem becouse the starter is trying to get the juice its not getting enough check terminals for corosion or split wires that would make a weaken the power. let me know what you come up with i can check a few more things out when i find out about the light thing.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:46 PM

thanks for the reply... the power/lights/radio all stay on with no actual dimming.

where is this starter relay.. do you have a part number??

Old 02-19-2006, 12:33 AM

well... i purchased a new starter relay switch from the dealer today.. put it in... seemed like it worked... went out this evening and it was very cold and the darn car did the same as it did prior to the new relay switch... had to turn the ignition key 4times before the car started!!!

when i turn the key, the lights/radio do NOT dim... all u hear is a "click"... put the key back into neutral position and turn it again and again, then the car turns over and starts.

any ideas????