New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Kansan Looking at Old New Yorker

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Default Kansan Looking at Old New Yorker

Howdy, forum!

I'm a new member in the southeast Kansas area (right on the Oklahoma border, actually) and for the past couple of months I've been looking for a project car. I'm not set on anything in particular; I just want something inexpensive to start with, hopefully fairly inexpensive to restore and maintain (those terms being relative and open to some debate) and something you don't see every day. Ideally the car would be a driver already, or close enough to it that I could be driving soon enough and able to enjoy the heap while I improve upon its "heap" status.

A fellow in Tulsa has been trying to sell a 1963 Chrysler New Yorker for some time now, and the price has fallen to a pretty attractive level. I've seen old ads where he listed the car for $2,500, and more recent ads where it's down to $900. He had no luck with it on eBay. ... I may finally have time to get away and see it this weekend; it's about 75 minutes from where I live.

The car still sports a seemingly correct, potentially original, 413, and the current owner says he wouldn't hesitate to "drive it anywhere." The "bad" of the car is front floorboard rust (the new pans are already purchased and come with the car) and "some" rust in the left rear quarter that goes up into the fender well, but the owner doesn't believe really infringes upon the trunk pan.

In Googling the '63 New Yorker, I've gotten some conflicting information. I see where at least one person cautioned potential buyers about the scarcity and cost of parts. (Maybe merely because the car is 50 years old?) To the contrary, another person in that same thread said the car shouldn't be particularly expensive or difficult to source parts for and keep on the road. ... I'd have guessed the latter is closer to true, assuming (rightly or wrongly) that being a Chrysler product there are probably a number interchangeable parts shared under the skin with Dodges and Plymouths, and being a Mopar there should be a marketplace of enthusiasts to be served by dismantlers and OEM/aftermarket parts suppliers.

So, fill me in, please on this subject.

How tough or costly is it to find parts for a 1963 New Yorker? (I assumed gassing that 413 would cost me more than anything.)

And when I go look at this vehicle, is there anything in particular to look for on a New Yorker of this vintage? Leaks or rust in places peculiar to this model, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. If I get the car, I'm sure to be back!