New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

No power at fuse for side lights and rear fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 AM
KJT
Default No power at fuse for side lights and rear fog lights

Hi all, this is my first post. I hope it's in the right place!

I have a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD stow and go. I am having an issue with all 4 of my side lights not working, number plate light and rear fog lights. The front headlights, main beam and fogs all work fine. I have checked all the fuses in the box and all are in tact. I have cleaned the 2 fuses related to the rear side lights (I believe!) and checked for power with a test lamp on both sides of the fuse connections in the fuse box (engine running) and they are dead. Absolutely nothing. I have pulled all the relays and reinserted them bit if I'm honest, I have no idea which relay - if there is one for the rear light circuit - is the one to focus on. I haven't tried a jumper cable yet as I don't want to blow anything etc.

I have to get an MOT done this week as we are away on holiday in a few days and this issue has just popped up. Feeling a little stumped...

Any suggestions on what I might try next?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

If yours is like the North American version, have you removed the rear tail light housings and checked for corroded bulb connections, It is pretty common here in the NorthEast USA.
The front corner bulbs should be checked also, You have a 13 year old ride and bulbs don't last forever, You have not stated of any checks being done at the lights themselves.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM
KJT

I didn't check the bulbs directly, but then hooked up a jumper cable and all the side lights worked. I realised just now, after a number of hours searching online and looking over the fuse box etc that there is a relay controlling the lights (I didn't know which one it was but figured as it was a lighting circuit there would have to be one somewhere) and it was labelled as it was the fog light relay (not sidelights) and I had previously at some point moved it up into a "spare" slot. So the real fix came when I put that relay in the correct place. The fog light relay is directly linked to the rear side lights circuit and the one won't work without the other - something else I didn't realise. It's all working perfectly now - no surprise...

Thanks for your reply though bud.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Glad that all is well now! Yes your initial post did not say that you initially had moved relays around before this occurred.