New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Transmission still not working right after 4 fixes

Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Angry Transmission still not working right after 4 fixes

My daughter has a 2012 Town and Country that she had the transmission serviced on about 6 months ago. 6 weeks ago it went out. She was driving, stopped to get her son and when she went to leave, the RPM's raced up and it Jerked a little and then wouldn't move. She took it to a dealership, they rebuilt it and she had it back about a week and the same thing happened. She took it back in and went to pick it up, got 5 miles down the road and it did it again. Back to the shop again, picked it up drove it for a week again and it started whining very loudly and doing the same thing. Took it back to the dealership, they kept it for a week and drove it all over. She got it back today, drove it around and says that there is something still not right. She said it jumps when it shifts between higher gears. She tried using it as a manual and said it only shifts when it hits certain RPM's, then it will drop back down. Could it be electrical?, the module or sensor between the engine and transmission? We are at our wits end. HELP.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 AM

If work that was done by a chrysler dealer, there would be a receipt with what was done written on it. If you could block personal info and post what service actions were done, you may get a bit more help here. From your post, any response would be just GUESSING.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Thank you for the advice about the thread. I will update it.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM

I was hoping to see what was written by the dealer, not your description.These vehicles are heavily computer controlled, even for transmission shifting. Has the check engine light been coming on? even when the van did shift normally? Also don't know of driving conditions when in use, but a rebuilt trans/ original trans uses a form of adaptive learning to drivers habits, it takes a little time/miles to "become totally smooth" shifting.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM

There's a lesson here for others. If the car is off warranty, for something that requires specialized knowledge, like a transmission repair or something like a convertible top repair or upholstery repair, you are probably better off going to a specialty shop rather than the dealer. A dealership may repair a few transmissions per month. A transmission shop does it all day every day and nothing else. If you have a heart problem, see a heart doctor. Same for your car.