Cam Shaft front oil seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Default Cam Shaft front oil seals

I have an 02 Concorde and I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads reworked. As I was putting it back together, I got to the point of putting in the front cam oil seals, which go on after you have installed the rear timing belt cover. It requires a special tool to install the seals, or a awfully big deep well socket. My question is in regards to the seal direction. I was told by the person that did the heads that the flat part of the seal goes against the rear timing belt cover. In other words, it faces the engine. This looks backwards to me. Then I had two other people tell me exactly the opposite. Unfortunately, when I pull the rear cover off and removed the seals, I didn't pay attention to the direction they were facing. Does the flat part go against the back, or does it face out so that that is what you are seeing after installing it?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 AM

You SHOULD NOT see the spring.......Flat facing out....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Default Starting issues

Thank you. Got the seals installed, everything back together and no leaks! However, when I tried to start it, the battery appeared to be dead. All I got was a click. Jumped it with another battery and fired right up. Slow charged the battery and used it later. THen, after starting it a couple of times, same thing "click" and then nothing. TOok battery for test, not enough amps. Only had around 100. Replaced battery, still had problem. Realize negative connection was in poor shape and replace connector. Started up. Thought problem was gone. After getting it completely back together, "Click", once again. Just to eliminate the possibilities, I had the Altenator and the Starter checked - passed all 3 test. Put it all back together and the damn thing started up. Tried it 3 more times and it started all three times. Drove it to work yesterday, about 25 miles, and then the engine light came on, it proceeded to stick in 2nd gear, and once I stopped and turned it off, I couldn't start it back up. Once again, "Click" and then nothing. Now it won't even jump. Any ideas. Sounds like a grounding issue.