Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel tank venting, hard to fill, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Default Fuel tank venting, hard to fill, etc

Good afternoon. I have a 2004 Pacifica I hope someone can help me with. I've owned Chryslers all my life, and have never ran into this before.

The fuel tank is extremely hard to refill. I'm only able to add about 3/4 gallon before the gas backs up into the filler hose, and the pump shuts off. It takes forever to refill this car. To add to it, the fuel gauge shows full fine, but only progresses down to about 1/2, then it instantly goes to empty. A few miles later, the low fuel light comes on, then a few miles later, it runs out of gas and stalls.

I bought this 04 Pacifica a couple of months ago to use as a work car. I called the previous owner, who now tells me that he also had this problem, and his shop replaced the RH fuel pump module.

I took it to the local Chrysler dealer for a diagnosis. They said it needed both fuel pump modules, and wanted over $900 for the job! Instead, I ordered both brand-new OEM modules, and replaced them both myself. Same problem remains.

I've read many posts on the internet about same problems, but no definite diagnosis. Any ideas?

I read about the vent filter, so I replaced mine. The old one had some debris in it, but didn't seem restricted at all, but even after replacing it, same problem exists. While I had the filter out, I blew through both ends of the line, no blockage, though when I blew back into the tank, I could hear it blowing bubbles in the fuel- that seemed odd that the vent would be submerged. I appreciate your help! Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Default I have same prob.

Same prob with my 2007, I can't believe no one has replied to this post yet. My mechanic is baffled still scratching his head 1000.00 richer though. I have learned to 20 dollar my car to death and I am sick of it!! Wish Crysler would issue recall on saddle tanks and make some changes for us!! Good luck to you!!!

Old 01-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Default 2007 Town and Country fuel won’t vent

Originally Posted by thedukesmom1
Same prob with my 2007, I can't believe no one has replied to this post yet. My mechanic is baffled still scratching his head 1000.00 richer though. I have learned to 20 dollar my car to death and I am sick of it!! Wish Crysler would issue recall on saddle tanks and make some changes for us!! Good luck to you!!!
I have the same year and same problem. Dealer replaced the charcoal canister and solenoid for purge valve. Went to gas station thinking I was good and NOPE. Still same issue. Anyone find a fix?

Old 01-10-2021, 08:41 AM

Ok, I have the same EXACT problem with my 2005 Pac w/ 350,000 miles. Short story: I had hit a boulder which smashed the passenger side plastic fuel tank up, cracking the passenger side fittings going into the passenger side tank module. Got the CEL that the tank was not sealed up properly, had a mechanic replace said passenger side module, he found the fittings leaking with a smoke test.
About 5000 miles later the issue w/ 1) Only able to fill tank very slowly and 2) Only able to access 1/2 of the fuel in the saddle tank.
Meaning I have been spending tons of time at the pump patiently filling the saddle fuel tank on a frequent basis, this has been going on for 4 years.
Anyone who suggests the proper fix for this apparently common problem gets 5 Pac Points.

Last edited by djetelina; 01-10-2021 at 08:43 AM.