Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel tank issues 2007 Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Default Fuel tank issues 2007 Pacifica

I have fought with only being able to use half of my fuel capacity for to long. I have spent probably 3k total to try to have the dealer fix this issue to no avail. I have read over and over about how the complicated fuel system is supposed to work in this thing and cannot get it to work properly. I'm about to drill into the low points of each side of the fuel tank and install a bulkhead fitting with a line to equalize the level on each side of the fuel tank. Has anybody tried this before? Seems to me this will solve my issue of filling up with only 7 gallons at a time....

Old 08-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Have been battling this problem for about 3 years and 30,000 miles. My own Pac takes FOREVER to "fill up" with 10 gallons of gas. Then 200 miles later I am doing it again, since like you, I can only access 1/2 of my Pac's fuel tank capacity. I briefly thought about bulkhead fittings, but the liability of doing that quickly told me "no".
Should you have (or don't) have success in this endeavor please let us know (with pics!).
As an aside, a small electric fuel pump to shove fuel from the full side to the empty side could assist. Just another un-vetted idea bouncing thru my head.

Last edited by djetelina; 08-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:04 PM

From the TSB 14-001-09 REV. A:

Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank, opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling."

This implies that there is a pump or something that is supposed to level the fuel on both halves the tank. Maybe this pump isn't working on yours?

Old 01-13-2022, 12:17 PM
Default Fix for Chrysler Pacifica gas tank issues

After spending hundreds on trying to fix my 2007 Chrysler Pacifica gas tank issues, I have finally found a solution! My issues started a couple of years ago. The gas tank would drop from half full to empty very quickly. Adding gas was a chore...it would only allow me to add a little at a time. I had to pull the nozzle out and let it breathe before adding a little more gas. That would go on for about 20 minutes. The gauge would eventually show the tank was full.

Needing a tune up and some other maintenance work done, I took my car to Christian Brothers Automotive on Hwy 249 in South Tomball, TX. The manager, Bruce, was able to find the issue and fix it for me. They had to drop the gas tank to see that one side of the saddle tanks was full of gas, even though the gauge showed empty. Apparently there were two fuel pumps on the gas tank. Someone previously had replaced one of them to help solve the problem, but it didn't work because the 2nd one was not replaced (it's hard to get to). So, they replaced both fuel pumps and the hoses that connect the two pumps. Once they added that, the gauge started operating normally! Bruce told me the reason I could only add gas a little at a time was because the one fuel tank was under pressure, so it was telling me not to add gas. Anyway, I am so grateful for finding this solution. Now I have many more years of use.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxflyer
I have fought with only being able to use half of my fuel capacity for to long. I have spent probably 3k total to try to have the dealer fix this issue to no avail. I have read over and over about how the complicated fuel system is supposed to work in this thing and cannot get it to work properly. I'm about to drill into the low points of each side of the fuel tank and install a bulkhead fitting with a line to equalize the level on each side of the fuel tank. Has anybody tried this before? Seems to me this will solve my issue of filling up with only 7 gallons at a time....
Check fuel tank control valve.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:06 PM
Default Pacifica fuel tank problem

Originally Posted by clarkaaron.777@gmail.com
Mine was fixed by Bruce at Christian Brothers Automotive in Tomball, TX on Highway 249. They dropped the fuel tank and replaced two pumps...the transfer pump
and another (maybe the fuel Tank pump). Mine now works normally. Maybe you should call Bruce to find out what they did to fix my Pacifica

Old 02-24-2022, 08:04 AM
Thumbs up Gas Tank Filling Issues- Solved!

I changed the canister purge valve (part #PV302, only $61.99 at Autozone.) Located under the hood by the passenger side front headlight, directly in front of the power steering pump & next to the radiator. No tools were needed, I didn't have to drop the gas tank or anything, I just disconnected the 2 vacuum lines & the electrical clip, plugged the new one in & that's it. It fills up perfectly now, no stopping or clicking off, everything is back to normal.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:26 AM

I changed the canister purge valve (part #PV302, only $61.99 at Autozone.) Located under the hood by the passenger side front headlight, directly in front of the power steering pump & next to the radiator. No tools were needed, I didn't have to drop the gas tank or anything, I just disconnected the 2 vacuum lines & the electrical clip, plugged the new one in & that's it. It fills up perfectly now, no stopping or clicking off, everything is back to normal.
Wow! Thanks!