Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Town & Country - Key Stuck in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Default 2010 Town & Country - Key Stuck in Ignition

So my wife calls me at work today and says the key won't come out of the ignition and also that the battery is completely dead..

I come home and the key won't come out.. It's not stuck in any position or anything but it won't come out in Park and in the Off position..

I'm charging the battery now so we'll see if that fixes it, although I don't think it will..

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 AM

The answer has been done on here and I think it involves hitting the key end with a hammer, but don't do it until a better explanation and procedure is given.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 AM

Not hammer but hand clenched as fist. However there is an issue with the shifter, which I take it is with an automatic car, something to do with cable from shifter going to ignition switch. Need more info on that. Chrysler Tech seems to know this issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
So my wife calls me at work today and says the key won't come out of the ignition and also that the battery is completely dead..

I come home and the key won't come out.. It's not stuck in any position or anything but it won't come out in Park and in the Off position..

I'm charging the battery now so we'll see if that fixes it, although I don't think it will..

Any ideas?

Thanks!
tbird2340,

If your vehicle is equipped with a steering column locking slip collar, the optical sensor may be having an issue sensing key rotation.
The inability to remove the key is a by-product of the battery dying.
I couldn't say for sure if charging the battery will resolve.
If it doesn't, phone your local Chrysler dealer to have the WIN (wireless ignition node) inspected as it may be the cause.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Default 2008 Grand Voyage IV Europe 2.8 crd

Hallo,

I’ve got the same issue with my Grand Voyager from 2006. The key is stuck inside the lock. It still can be turned and everything works except I can not get it out anymore.
I also realized that the battery is weak so I’ve ordered a new one, could it solve my problem?
Or should I try to flood the keyhole with firearms oil (Ballistol)? Or better with vaporizing break cleaner?
The car has an automatic gearbox.
It would be great, if someone could help.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:10 PM

I was able to solve the problem myself. The problem was, that the OFF position of the ignition key is the second but last one. If you turn the key all way to the left it will be in the ACC position, where the key can't be taken out.
Switching it back one position kill unlock the key.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by KiOnVoyage
I was able to solve the problem myself. The problem was, that the OFF position of the ignition key is the second but last one. If you turn the key all way to the left it will be in the ACC position, where the key can't be taken out.
Switching it back one position kill unlock the key.

The key is the below.

Name:  CGmImHg.png
Views: 1827
Size:  325.4 KB

The dance is the timing [knack] between moves in milliseconds between the OFF and ON position. Brain in gear, patience, it works in milliseconds, practice. NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert the key into the barrel.

Picture taken from the EURO issue handbook for my 05 UK 2.8 Grand Voyager CRD and posted on the UK Chrysler forum.

Last edited by QinteQ; 02-18-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:54 AM

NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert ...
correct, I mixed up OFF and LOCK. But what is confusing, compared to all the cars I drove before, is, that there is one more position left of the LOCK position, where you can’t remove the key from.

Does anybody know, what is the purpose of the ACC position?

Old 02-19-2020, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by KiOnVoyage
correct, I mixed up OFF and LOCK. But what is confusing, compared to all the cars I drove before, is, that there is one more position left of the LOCK position, where you can’t remove the key from.

Does anybody know, what is the purpose of the ACC position?
ACC is for accessory. It's the key position allows accessories only not engine running.