Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

56 Plate Grand Voyager, starting and cutout

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Default 56 Plate Grand Voyager, starting and cutout

Hi Guys, new to forum, so apologies if this has been posted before.

i have a 56 plate Grand voyager 2.8 CRD, I have owned this vehicle since 2009 and every year there has been something expensive go wrong with it

Just a week ago my car cut out several times travelling up the Motorway, finally managed to get to my destination after leaving the car to stand for several minutes and then starting it, It took again several minutes to start turning over part firing and then started, once i got to my destination and the vehicle had been standing for a few hours the car wouldn't start at all

I called out the RAC but as they do not have he software for Chrysler vehicles all he could do was give me his opinion on what he thought it was.

He started my car by taking off one side of the MAF and spraying easy start into it, he concluded that it was possibly one of three sensors, i forget exactly what the are called i know there is 1 at the front which is easily accessible just underneath the cover, one on the crank and another one(im such a div i forgot what it is)

Has anyone had any experience in replacing these, is it easily do-able myself, past experience with Chrysler for me has been very expensive so would prefer not to go to them again

Anyway thanx all for reading hope someone can help

K3n

Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 AM
tfb

First thing to do is to get the fault codes read, there is no point in replacing parts and hoping for the best, it will end up costing more in the end.

Depending upon where you are in the country I may be able to help out or look in the yellow pages for a mobile code reading service

Regards
richard

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Hi

Sounds like the fuel filter housing/primer pump. The housing is made of plastic and contains a heater (crap idea) and is famous for cracking. This lets in air causing cut outs (especially under load). The primer pump diaphragm can split causing similar symptoms also letting fuel drain back to the tank if left for a while. The filter/pump is fitted on the front of the engine in the middle fairly low down but can be pumped from above. The plunger should feel solid (no air) if not keep pumping till its solid and it should start.

Hope this helps

Regards John.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 AM

Ok here's an update, needed fuel rail sensor replaced got it back engine management light still on, rang chrysler and apparently thats because it needs EGR replacing, after paying £980 for diag, frs, breakpads, and radiator im wondering if i can replace EGR myself

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Has no-one mentioned the crank position sensor and cam position sensor? These should show in the ercos. from the micro.
The EGR most likely needs cleaning. There are members here who can tell you exactly how to test and clean. They get full of oily black carbon. (Not the members, the EGRs...)

Leedsman.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:23 AM

actually the RAC mentioned it right from the offset, but seems chrysler have sorted it with replacing the fuel rail sensor,

Now i await one of our good friends on here to advise me on how to test and clean EGR

Thank you for responding really appreciate your input

Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM
tfb

1st thing to do is search for "key dance" on here and see what fault codes are causing the MIL to be lit.

Post the codes and the we can go from there

Regards
Richard

Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Thank you Richard, this is going to sound thick, i have searched for key dance but to be perfectly honest I don't know what I'm looking for

Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by K3nshi
Thank you Richard, this is going to sound thick, i have searched for key dance but to be perfectly honest I don't know what I'm looking for
- search 'this forum' for the word > dance <
- it finds many dozens of references to key dance
- such as this post .. .. and this video
- hope this helps

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Happy New Year, thought i would leave this til after xmas, can anyone tell me or show me via pictures where i locate the EGR for my car please